The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Angel Island is an island in San Francisco Bay offering expansive 360° views of the San Francisco skyline, the Marin CountyHeadlands and Mount Tamalpais. The entire island is included within Angel Island State Park and is administered by California State Parks. The island, a California Historical Landmark,[1] has been used for a variety of purposes, including military forts, a US Public Health Service Quarantine Station, and a US Bureau of Immigration inspection and detention facility. The Angel Island Immigration Station on the northeast corner of the island, where officials detained, inspected, and examined approximately one million immigrants, has been designated a National Historic Landmark.[2]

Angel_island_features.jpg

Once we drove to Valejo and took a Ferry to Angel Island for a Tour. It was a great trip!

Angel Island is the Ellis Island of the west coast. Many immigrants came in there too

Sounds cool! I don't think I've ever even been to Ellis Island hah I think maybe I took a ferry out but we didn't get off. Really stupid question but do immigrants still come through there? Or is it closed now?

I found my great-grandfather's name in a book of the immigrants that came through Ellis Island. That was interesting.

Sounds interesting.

I don't know that we ever had any immigrant relatives but I think that was cause we came over way earlier but idk.

My dad's family, there is someone that came over on the Mayflower and then either that same guy or someone else also participated in the Revolutionary War and the Boston Tea Party. I think maybe his son did too. He was a ship builder or ship captain maybe and I think he was friends with Revere or Adams or some of those people that met. But idk.

Then another relative founded Ocean Spray but my dad's dad drank or something happened where he didn't get the company. We coulda been rich hah oh well tho. Probably better we're not. :)

And I think we might have had some whalers in the family too.

Angel Island had mostly Asian immigrants. It was quite an operation too

A lot of the Chinese and Asian immigrants built the first railroad, right? We learned about in history recently. At least I think that's what he said hah

Angel Island is an island in San Francisco Bay offering expansive 360° views of the San Francisco skyline, the Marin CountyHeadlands and Mount Tamalpais. The entire island is included within Angel Island State Park and is administered by California State Parks. The island, a California Historical Landmark,[1] has been used for a variety of purposes, including military forts, a US Public Health Service Quarantine Station, and a US Bureau of Immigration inspection and detention facility. The Angel Island Immigration Station on the northeast corner of the island, where officials detained, inspected, and examined approximately one million immigrants, has been designated a National Historic Landmark.[2]

View attachment 1273748

Thats pretty cool :)

Sounds cool! I don't think I've ever even been to Ellis Island hah I think maybe I took a ferry out but we didn't get off. Really stupid question but do immigrants still come through there? Or is it closed now?

Sounds interesting.

I don't know that we ever had any immigrant relatives but I think that was cause we came over way earlier but idk.

My dad's family, there is someone that came over on the Mayflower and then either that same guy or someone else also participated in the Revolutionary War and the Boston Tea Party. I think maybe his son did too. He was a ship builder or ship captain maybe and I think he was friends with Revere or Adams or some of those people that met. But idk.

Then another relative founded Ocean Spray but my dad's dad drank or something happened where he didn't get the company. We coulda been rich hah oh well tho. Probably better we're not. :)

And I think we might have had some whalers in the family too.

A lot of the Chinese and Asian immigrants built the first railroad, right? We learned about in history recently. At least I think that's what he said hah

Thats pretty cool :)
The Chinese built the western part of the first trans Atlantic railroad.

Angel Island is now a State Park. Rangers give tours of it

might have to put away the stubbies and break out the tracky dacks. Something for you to look up @bruceha2000 :p
:D
If it warms up I could don the tracky dacks, if I had any. Stubbies will be awhile.

americano
3/4 hot water 1/4 espresso. Looks like really weak coffee, why bother.

My dad's family, there is someone that came over on the Mayflower and then either that same guy or someone else also participated in the Revolutionary War and the Boston Tea Party. I think maybe his son did too.
I think we better go with "or someone else" since there is a 150 year span between when the Mayflower landed and the Boston Tea Party. I know some people live a long time but not THAT long.

Back
Top Bottom