The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Good morning everyone :frow

@JaeG ugh, darned rats! Sorry about the little boy. Keep those photos coming!

@Teila that's a scary looking storm, keep us posted.

@Blooie don't forget to swing by and pick me up on your way to that Goldilocks place :D

@rjohns39 ok so maybe I didn't keep all the snow to myself but if it's melting already, I didn't do too badly, right?

@007Sean I don't know anything really about pheasants, do they take the winter off then start laying in the spring? You know we expect pictures around here!

@pertnear09 what's your weather like this time of year?
Pheasants are seasonal layers. Meaning that they only lay in the spring, breeding season, ....well, all except my Melanistic pheasants, they think their chickens, they have been laying year round. Haven't figured that one out yet!:idunno All I really know is it causes egg yolk peritonitis in season layers.

Pheasants are seasonal layers. Meaning that they only lay in the spring, breeding season, ....well, all except my Melanistic pheasants, they think their chickens, they have been laying year round. Haven't figured that one out yet!:idunno All I really know is it causes egg yolk peritonitis in season layers.

Does everyone that has Melanistic pheasants experience the year round laying or is that something different about yours?

3 cleans so long day...

Here, have another cup of coffee and fortify yourself :caf Hope the jobs all go quickly and well!

Don't know if everyone else that has melanistics have the same problem....never have had any of my pheasants lay year round, before now. They started when 6 months old and haven't stopped. I believe it's some gene that got "turned on" or mutated. It's only in 2 hens the rest are normal. Here's a pi
c of one of them...love the way the iridescent color changes according to lighting. Without sun shining on them, they look like crows!:gig
145694ea_image3A4301.jpeg

Don't know if everyone else that has melanistics have the same problem....never have had any of my pheasants lay year round, before now. They started when 6 months old and haven't stopped. I believe it's some gene that got "turned on" or mutated. It's only in 2 hens the rest are normal. Here's a pi
c of one of them...love the way the iridescent color changes according to lighting. Without sun shining on them, they look like crows!:gig View attachment 1304836

What a pretty bird!

c of one of them...love the way the iridescent color changes according to lighting. Without sun shining on them, they look like crows!:gig View attachment 1304836
Very pretty purple!

Back
Top Bottom