The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflour, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Congrats on your layers Sunflour :clap

In general I find it's the owners and not the dogs that are at fault :( You get out what you put in.
    Staffies get a bad name too but if they are brought up right they are fabulous dogs. There was one at the farm when Charlie was very young and she had been brought up with kids & was the biggest softie ever. Often there was a kid in her bed with her!!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I totally agree. Last month in the UK i went with my parents to a number of rescue shelters, looking for a dog for them and the number of Staffies was overwhelming! A real shame cos they are real fun-loving softies, agree

CT

3. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @oldhenlikesdogs looks like you found the name for the pup...we're calling him Petey [​IMG]

@sunflour congrats on more laying power! Maybe the whole Easter bunny/Cadbury egg thing has them thinking they better get back to work.

@Yorkshire coop & Chris...I was just reading about pits on Wikipedia. They were bred from the same lineage as the staffies. Look at this quote:
    "Twelve countries in Europe, as well as Australia, Canada, Ecuador, Malaysia, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore, and Venezuela have enacted some form of breed-specific legislation on pit bull-type dogs, including American Pit Bull Terriers, ranging from outright bans to restrictions and conditions on ownership. The state of New South Wales in Australia places restrictions on the breed, including mandatory sterilization. The breed is banned in the United Kingdom, in the Canadian province of Ontario,[3] and in many locations in the United States."

There will be some challenges to having one for sure, guess we'll tackle them one at a time. Neither DH nor I could handle the thought of him being put down.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Good for you Debby!
    Chris

5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    And if for some unknown reason Petey doesn't work out for us, I'll pack his little bag and send him to you in Kenya. He could give your monkeys a run for their money! [​IMG]

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015

Oh, and i pay on delivery (again) right? [​IMG] - gotta love that idea! Actually, my catapult seems to have done the trick with the monkeys for now (until they realise what a crap shot i am!)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    I love my little dachshund....not a mean bone in his body. But I don't think he knows he's little.

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Every little dog I've had or known didn't know they were little. I had a Chihuahua growing up and she thought she was the biggest baddest dog on the block. She lived until she was 18 and what finally did her in was attacking a German Shepard that dared to enter "her" yard.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I love my ankle biters too, but the news never says Yorkie bites kids lip, but they definitely will say if it's a pit that did it. You are more likely to be bit by other breeds, but as an owner of bully breeds, there's more strength in the bite once they do bite so they do more damage, and a tendency not to let go.

Petey is a good name, he has such a smooshable face.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by