The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Not quite that high... $1.30 x 4 is $5.20.

Ohhh okay! For some reason I thought you had said it was $1.99/liter!

Bet you don't remember when it first hit $2/gallon in 2003 and everyone was going nuts because we would all go broke buying gas. And then it went to $3 and then $4. We didn't go broke and people kept buying gas hogs.

And that big old Catalina got maybe 12 MPG on the highway and cost $3K, not cheap at the time.

Kinda ;)
A litre/liter is .264 gallons or 1 gallon = 3.79 litre/liters. At $1.30/litre that would be $4.93/gallon. But that is Canadian dollars so about $3.70/gallon US. Starting to sound better ;) Until you see that gas is under $2.50 in many parts of the US and the average is around $2.70. Yep that extra $1/gallon adds up when you fill the tank in Canada!

Mostly. They passed a law a few years ago that you can pump your own in areas where stations are few and far between and not open at night. Can't be running out of gas in the middle of nowhere on a trip and have to sleep in the car until the station opens up in the morning. BUT you can only pump your own when the station is closed - wait, isn't that an oxymoron?? OK, you can only pump your own when the station is "unmanned".

Nope but I do vaguely remember when it hit $4 and how crazy high it was. Glad it's not that high now.

And gee, that is sounding better!

And wait why is it illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon? That seems really weird to me.

And wait why is it illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon? That seems really weird to me.
Don't know but I think it is still illegal in New Jersey as well. Haven't been through there for a LONG time but last I was, it was a deal. Gas was a lot cheaper than just across the border in New York AND they pumped it for you.

Just got gas for the garden tractor - 5 gallons at $2.86. Regular price at the stations here has been $2.99 but it is "5 cents off Thursday" and I have a Shell "rewards card" (they are free) and I get 5 cents off up to 20 gallons as often as I want as long as I use it 6 times in 90 days. So when DD2 needs gas, she takes the card. DD1 can't stand gas fumes (migraines) so she goes to a full serve station which is not a Shell. And DW gets gas at a place on the way to work that is always cheaper anyway.

At ~600 miles/tank and not driving all that much, I have to get gas when I don't need it in the car to maintain my "gold" status. One way to do that is getting only 5 gallons for the garden tractor. When I was going to Irving, I got 10 cents off 20 gallons AFTER buying 50 gallons. So to make the most of it I would fill the car which is usually about 10 gallons and then put the rest in containers for the garden tractor.

Last edited:
Well....
After finally getting the development permit still more headaches...
There's a 21 day appeal period before we can begin anything. The soonest the house movers can move the house is August 9. The people we bought the house from have their own project they need to get going on. They wanted the house gone by June 1. So, now I'm waiting to hear if we can even get the house. They may just decide to demolish it.

Once upon a time gas was 5 gallons for a dollar, Dad told me that. He was always looking for a deal.

Wow that is a deal!!

Don't know but I think it is still illegal in New Jersey as well. Haven't been through there for a LONG time but last I was, it was a deal. Gas was a lot cheaper than just across the border in New York AND they pumped it for you.

Just got gas for the garden tractor - 5 gallons at $2.86. Regular price at the stations here has been $2.99 but it is "5 cents off Thursday" and I have a Shell "rewards card" (they are free) and I get 5 cents off up to 20 gallons as often as I want as long as I use it 6 times in 90 days. So when DD2 needs gas, she takes the card. DD1 can't stand gas fumes (migraines) so she goes to a full serve station which is not a Shell. And DW gets gas at a place on the way to work that is always cheaper anyway.

At ~600 miles/tank and not driving all that much, I have to get gas when I don't need it in the car to maintain my "gold" status. One way to do that is getting only 5 gallons for the garden tractor. When I was going to Irving, I got 5 cents off 20 gallons AFTER buying 50 gallons. So to make the most of it I would fill the car which is usually about 10 gallons and then put the rest in containers for the garden tractor.

Huh, that's so interesting! I might have to get one of those cards.

BJs and Stop & Shop gas is cheap if you get the points but of course you have to spend a lot but you have to buy groceries anyways sooo..

But I think Stop & Shop changed it so your points expire after 30 days so it's kind of dumb because you can't rack up huge points now.

Well....
After finally getting the development permit still more headaches...
There's a 21 day appeal period before we can begin anything. The soonest the house movers can move the house is August 9. The people we bought the house from have their own project they need to get going on. They wanted the house gone by June 1. So, now I'm waiting to hear if we can even get the house. They may just decide to demolish it.

:barnie :hugs :fl
I do hope it all works out Michelle.

Hopefully my little baby Winter is OK - it's 3C or 37.4F here at the moment! The sun hasn't got up yet - hopefully we'll see it today. I've seen both parents feeding Winter so they've got in sorted. But I must get on and make some fake eggs because it won't be long before they'll try again!

:barnie :hugs :fl
I do hope it all works out Michelle.

Hopefully my little baby Winter is OK - it's 3C or 37.4F here at the moment! The sun hasn't got up yet - hopefully we'll see it today. I've seen both parents feeding Winter so they've got in sorted. But I must get on and make some fake eggs because it won't be long before they'll try again!
Why did it hatch in winter?

Back
Top Bottom