The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

40 pounds would be 1 of the bales I get for the 2 alpacas. 30 bales is more than plenty for the year.

Oh wow! That’s not much at all.

How much do you suppose a couple mini horses or 2-4 goats or sheep would eat? Thinking Nigerian Dwarf or a dairy breed for the goats, probably wethers, and Shetland for the sheep but idk yet. This is all just hypothetical haha thinking my next project is quail. So this wouldn’t be for a while if at all. But planning ha

I don't know about mini horses, goats or sheep! I have heard that alpacas are pretty feed thrifty.

The boys do have grass from May through about October. They don't like tall grass though and will eat away at the same short areas in the fenced area when the "less desirable" areas gets tall. All spring I kept thinking I would be getting all I needed to run the new flail mower on the real tractor "any day". Well "any day" kept getting another day or 3 out and the grass got too tall for the Garden Tractor riding mower which I used in prior years. Finally got everything to use the flail and mowed the fenced area last week only to find that in reality the GT is better for the job because of all the obstacles. So from now on in the fenced area, other than the largest open areas, I'll be using the GT starting early in the grass growing season.

I don't know about mini horses, goats or sheep! I have heard that alpacas are pretty feed thrifty.

The boys do have grass from May through about October. They don't like tall grass though and will eat away at the same short areas in the fenced area when the "less desirable" areas gets tall. All spring I kept thinking I would be getting all I needed to run the new flail mower on the real tractor "any day". Well "any day" kept getting another day or 3 out and the grass got too tall for the Garden Tractor riding mower which I used in prior years. Finally got everything to use the flail and mowed the fenced area last week only to find that in reality the GT is better for the job because of all the obstacles. So from now on in the fenced area, other than the largest open areas, I'll be using the GT starting early in the grass growing season.

Hmm, that’s interesting. Thanks. They sure do sound feed thrifty! Haha I want some eventually but they’re so expensive to buy. :hit from what I’ve read, I think Shetland sheep are a little more thrifty than the modern breeds and easier on the environment because they are an older breed and smaller and lighter too. But I don’t know for sure. I’ve been thinking of getting some or some goats or something. But first up is quail. What I really want is a horse eventually but they’re way too expensive so thinking of starting with lessons and/or leasing. But wasn’t sure if mini horses would maybe be any less expensive. Probably not.

We have almost 3 acres though and a lot of grass so I think plenty of room for animals ha a lot of it is woods too but the yard itself is huge. I almost wonder if I could maybe grow some hay or something for them myself. Even if it was only a small amount it would probably still be that much less that I would have to buy.

They would definitely have tons of grass though.

Don’t really know anything about the tractor bit or what that one tractor is is so I’ll leave that to someone else to reply to. :lau :oops:

And with good reason! That jay has it's eye on her ice cream. MAYBE having that bird sitting so close and nothing bad happening will lesson her fear/reaction to other birds.

Who has a quarter mile of water pipe just sitting around?

You need a tractor with pallet forks ;)

BIG horse, BIG appetite!
Obviously my neighbor!

Back
Top Bottom