The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

The pork tastes awesome but is tough. Everything will be low and slow or sausage.

When I make stock, I generally prefer my 160qt pot as regardless of pot size, it still takes 12+ hours to make a good stock. I used my stock pot to scald the pigs and couldn't for the life of me get it hot enough when it was cold out. The story of how the pot came to be is or can be a bit entertaining. :D It's about work road trips and my rule that we will NOT talk work after hours.

You have to share the story now!

Okay, here goes... When I was in ACY with the team, my first and unbreakable rule was that we don't talk shop after work. We had enough room nights booked at the Residence Inn in Egg Harbor to get some special treatment. So I sat at a table with my senior leadership team and we generally talked about cooking. On the table were big bottles of Crown, Rum, Tequila, White & Red Wine, unsweetened Ice Tea and Ice Water. Everyone on my team was free to fill their glasses, but we were not going to talk shop. Bring up work and you get evicted. But there are lots of other guests on the patio, who thought us a bit weird and didn't understand why they could have tea and water but not the other stuff.

So this particular evening I presented my challenge. It takes 12+ hours to make stock regardless of quantity, so I wanted to be more efficient. Btw, at my table are a biologist, and engineer, a physicist, a process engineer and a whole bunch of foodies. Well the physicist started by asking how fast the pot needs to come to a boil and the biologist laid out the time frames and the high risk periods. The engineer started looking at products. This whole exercise lasted close to three hours. But in the end, the best rate of return and available products was a 160Qt stock pot, two good canners capable of 14 quarts each and a 150,000 BTU rocket burner. The foodies helped me adapt my recipe and the process engineer laid out how to go about it. I'm certain the others on the patio thought we were nuts, but I did see some taking notes. :gig

So my pot can hold 34 carcasses and twice that number of feet along with onion, celery, carrots, garlic, sage, thyme, parsley, oregano, rosemary, pepper, and salt.

Sorry Michelle, I missed answering earlier. DH & I are fine. He's been able to get quite a bit of work done on the Casper house and since he has a lot of materials to do projects with already at the house, he hasn't had to go hardly anywhere.

Hi Chrissy, how are you doing?
So you're mostly stuck home by yourself?

Okay, here goes... When I was in ACY with the team, my first and unbreakable rule was that we don't talk shop after work. We had enough room nights booked at the Residence Inn in Egg Harbor to get some special treatment. So I sat at a table with my senior leadership team and we generally talked about cooking. On the table were big bottles of Crown, Rum, Tequila, White & Red Wine, unsweetened Ice Tea and Ice Water. Everyone on my team was free to fill their glasses, but we were not going to talk shop. Bring up work and you get evicted. But there are lots of other guests on the patio, who thought us a bit weird and didn't understand why they could have tea and water but not the other stuff.

So this particular evening I presented my challenge. It takes 12+ hours to make stock regardless of quantity, so I wanted to be more efficient. Btw, at my table are a biologist, and engineer, a physicist, a process engineer and a whole bunch of foodies. Well the physicist started by asking how fast the pot needs to come to a boil and the biologist laid out the time frames and the high risk periods. The engineer started looking at products. This whole exercise lasted close to three hours. But in the end, the best rate of return and available products was a 160Qt stock pot, two good canners capable of 14 quarts each and a 150,000 BTU rocket burner. The foodies helped me adapt my recipe and the process engineer laid out how to go about it. I'm certain the others on the patio thought we were nuts, but I did see some taking notes. :gig

So my pot can hold 34 carcasses and twice that number of feet along with onion, celery, carrots, garlic, sage, thyme, parsley, oregano, rosemary, pepper, and salt.

See, it's things like this that makes cooking & baking known as a 'science' :gig

Daughter just sent a video of her finishing the race and the racers celebrating with Corona beers. I have no idea where such behavior comes from. Must be the Gypsy blood.

That must have been an older batch of beer. The company has changed it's name for marketing

Virus Corona.jpg

Back
Top Bottom