The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

That is good. Will your break her from being broody if the eggs are duds or will you get some fertile eggs for her to hatch?

I usually just let them sit. We have enough birds that I'm never short on eggs over summer, and they'll only go broody again. One of my Orpingtons was so bad in her youth that she'd lay about 10 eggs, then go broody over and over again.

I've put a Muscovy duck egg in my incubator from one of our new girls to see if it is fertile from her old home. If it is I might swap them out and Sunflower can raise a duck or two (which might be funny seeing as they'll get so big so quickly).

Hello Jae :frow Oh no 😱 is everything okay or do they do that often?

DH didn't quite put their cover down far enough at the front, so I think the white cat wafted past and gave them a scare. She kind of glows on the dark which is a good thing considering some of the weird places she'll sleep (like right outside doorways). Cockatiels are prone to night frights, but that's usually the cause with our boys.

Good morning Ron :frow I hope your Air Quality goes down with your temps 😯 I'll keep praying it gets better for you and everyone affected by the smoke and fires.
Thank You!

Hopefully there will not be too many health problems from the smoke.

A late start for me, it was too chilly to get out from under the covers
smiley alarm.gif
Time to turn on the furnace.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

One of my bantams had stashed some eggs and made herself a nest in a pile of branches. I'll let her sit - she shouldn't come to any harm. She had a pile of 13 eggs (she's an Old English Game bantam so she's tiny) so I removed 8 so she could actually sit on them. I'm pretty sure they won't be fertile - my little cockerel is still getting the hang of that part of his job and the older hens aren't keen on letting him get away with anything anyway. But one of our new Muscovy hens laid us an egg today so I might try incubating it (and hopefully she'll lay a few more) and see if our little hen will raise the potential ducklings. The Muscovy would have been with a boy at their old home, and the people we got them off cull any aggressive ones. We'll see. Otherwise I can at last try baking a cake using duck eggs.

These chicks are keeping me busy! The one I thought was a blue I think will be lavender. That's the 'original' colour of the Tailed Araucana.
View attachment 2342470

My older ones are feathering fast, well, the Partridge ones are anyway - the Birchens and Splash are still half naked. This one is the worst and it still has the tiniest tail, especially for a 3 and a half week old.
View attachment 2342518

We all adore this girl - she's sweet and cuddly and rather likes having her cheeks scritched:
View attachment 2342525
She'll be staying here for sure. 🥰
Hi Jae! They are adorable! I hope that your duck egg is fertile!

Good afternoon all! I'm a late arrival today! We were on the road early, helping our son & his family move...it's going to be like this all week. I have the hardest job...watching our grandson...lol! Have a great day...I'll popping on as I have time!

Hi Jae, they're all adorable chicks, especially that 3rd one!
Good afternoon Debby! Hope your day is going good!

Good morning folks :frow

Jae, love the chick pics.

:frow Good morning Debby, have a great day
Good afternoon Bob! Have a good day!

Good morning everyone :frow have a great Monday

Jae, they are so adorable 😍

Good morning Debby :frow have a great Monday
Good afternoon Sue! Hope you're having a good day today!💞

Good morning Debby, Bob, Sue, everyone.

Jae your chicks are so cute!
Good morning IM! Have a good day!

good morning everyone! nice to see chicks on a cold Monday
Good afternoon Cheepteach! Stay warm! 🧣

Good morning, everyone. :frow
Good afternoon Sour! Have a good day!

That's too cold Debby...I would have stayed in bed too!

No warm clothes for me!

I would wear a rain coat if it rained but not rain for nearly two months yet.
Afternoon Ron...I hope you get a break soon...you've had more than your share! :(
Our air quality has been good for the last couple of days, hopefully it will stay that way!

Time to turn on the furnace.
Afternoon Bruce! Enjoy your day!

Afternoon Ron...I hope you get a break soon...you've had more than your share! :(
Our air quality has been good for the last couple of days, hopefully it will stay that way!

I hope the status on the fires is better soon too!

the Air Quality has been better so there is hope

Hi Rene, glad to hear your air is better!

We're up to 75* now so that has taken care of the chill.

Back
Top Bottom