The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I definitely will grab cake. I am currently on a bit of a bumpy road in life, so I have been busy and distracted.

I have saved a bunny for you, I can drop it in the nearest mailbox, they are adorable. You can have your pick of either of these two.

View attachment 1181313

Those bunnies are just adorable!

Good Morning Friends :hugs

Looks like you had a wonderful virtual party N F C, I am pleased and once again, happy birthday! :hugs

sunflour thank you! :hugs

Frazzemrat1 it is “tomorrow” here in Aus so Happy Birthday to you also! :hugs

[Yes Teila, that is the hug emoticon .. do not wear it out! ;)]

I think we had the conversation last year but today [8th November here in Aus] is Chimee’s birthday and she has turned 7 .. happy birthday mumma's little sweetheart :love

She weighed a whole 250 grams when we rescued her and I swear 50 grams of that was fleas :sick

View attachment 1181367

View attachment 1181369

View attachment 1181370

Happy Birthday Chimee - she's so beautiful!

Here are my little ugly bugs. The third chick (the one on the right) had hatched overnight and they are all doing ok so far.
Jellybeans.jpg

Here are my little ugly bugs. The third chick (the one on the right) had hatched overnight and they are all doing ok so far.
View attachment 1181577
Shaaa....what are they?
Happy Birthday to these naked cuties!

View attachment 1181577
My Java Rice birds were very good parents.

Shaaa....what are they?
Happy Birthday to these naked cuties!

They are Java finches. One of the parents attacks the chicks when they hatch. I do suspect the cock bird. The first time they bred the female got no support from him and the chicks weren't well fed. I pulled two at 10 days old, leaving her with one, thinking she'd do better with only one mouth to feed. But the difference between the two I'd taken and the one left behind was incredible after only 24 hours, so I pulled that one too. Next two clutches were attacked but at the time I'd seen a mouse squeeze through the quarter inch hardware cloth and later found a nest of mouse babies so I assumed it was the mice. We made the aviary mouse proof but it's happened again.

Just call me bird rescue. A breeder who I've been hand rearing cockatiels for just brought me two newly hatched crimson rosella chicks. I just have to look after them for a few days until the rest hatch. He's got someone else lined up to raise them as Rosellas don't make the best pets. They can be wild and nippy.

Pretty unique hobby there @JaeG. I don't know that very many people want to raise dependant baby birds from the time they hatch. Chickens are a lot easier!!

It wasn't quite my intention to be doing this when I decided to get some birds, but I have to try and save the poor little things.

Here's a Rosella chick - they are funny looking things and huge compared to my tiddly finches. And they are loud! At least they are very eager to eat which makes my life easy (well, easier - they'll need feeding every couple of hours but I'll leave them for 5-6 hours overnight). Hopefully it's only for a few days and their siblings hurry up and hatch.
Dandelions.jpg

Back
Top Bottom