The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I also knew where every wild fruit tree and berry patch was located up on the Sourland Mountains, and when they would be ripe.

I also knew when the neighbors' fruit trees ripened - only took the windfalls, honest.
When I was a kid, there was the really nice elderly lady that had an orchard, but was getting on in years and had difficulty harvesting the fruit. So I would stop on my way home from school and harvest what she instructed, and she'd fill a basket for me to take home. On the weekends she'd teach how to preserve it. And I too knew where to find those "wild" growing berries:gig

Widow neighbor lady had an egg production farm. She raised all her replacement birds - we were given all the inadvertent cockerels. Leghorns made great fryers. Catfish and eels were a given and guaranteed, bluegills another staple, chuck steak was a big time treat. Garden was massive and cellar was filled first with canned goods, and then with frozen produce. If you wanted something, you saved for it. It was a good life, and I remember it fondly. There was also a white peach tree just outside her sheep paddock that had the best peaches I have ever eaten.

@oldhenlikesdogs
Do you and hubby use the hollow point? I got one a couple years ago for various reasons and was instructed that the hollow point .22 pellets were best.
Had to grill the husband. I only shoot my red Ryder BB gun, mostly at cans. Husband kills all our nuisance rodents, either will the 22 or the air rifle, no hollow point. Those will blow apart on contact and cause more damage than a regular bullet, so I guess it's what you are looking to do.

He has a 17 gauge air rifle, and a couple of regular 22's. Both can be used for hunting, the regular 22 has more power than the air rifle. I won't even mention the rest.

Back
Top Bottom