The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

thanks belive it or not I am 64 and am still learning to cook. Even though I started to learn back when I was a tween off of KPBS with Gram Kerr and Julia Child
Graham Kerr - The Galloping Gourmet! I have one of his books from the same time as you were watching since I'm only a year younger. The first "real" thing I ever cooked from the book was boeuf bourguignon. And Julia Child, spy turned chef. She always struck me as being a bit "over exuberant" in an affected way. Got a lot of people to move on from "The Joy of Cooking" though.

141859-Merry-Christmas.jpg

everyone have a merry christmas and a safe one if you have to go out

it surprises me at times that parents use that kind of language in front of their kids, my daddy cussed in front of me but not the language they use today, he would have jumped on them if they did in front of momma and me, a older generation southern man doesn't use that kind of language in front of a lady and all women are ladies until proven otherwise
things sure have changed and not for the better
I definitely agree. I was not impressed by the kids language when I was doing favors for someone in a public school . I would never let my kids step foot in a public school. No offence to people that do let their kids go to school:frow. I won't judge you....
yes, have more water now than when we got here and its raining again now, might not be able to put in the new sea wall before they fill it back up and he will have to be in the water to put the post in with the trash pump
What kinda sea wall are you building ? :p.
Hi, sharron, how was your 'run' yesterday ? We started the day with a minor automobile accident (the Princess) and concluded with another minor accident (younger grandson). No one hurt - no major foul.
Wife had a really bad accident last year. Totaled our car. The wife was stoped at an intersection . Waiting to go straight across. Well when she went across the intersection some other guy decided to turn right in front of her She had the right to go not him:he. Well he was driving a heaver truck and drove right over top of her car and cracked the windshield.:barnie Smashed the engine.!! Thank God the tire of his truck didn't punch all the way through her windshield and smash her.!!!!! the engine must have caught the bottom of the truck frame and stoped it from falling through. In the end his truck had less then a bent fender And a shined up frame. . And our car was completely smashed on the front with broken engine mounts. And a busted up windshield . He didn't even have car insurance to pay for it!!!!!!!!:th

I definitely agree. I was not impressed by the kids language when I was doing favors for someone in a public school . I would never let my kids step foot in a public school. No offence to people that do let their kids go to school:frow. I won't judge you....

What kinda sea wall are you building ? :p.

Wife had a really bad accident last year. Totaled our car. The wife was stoped at an intersection . Waiting to go straight across. Well when she went across the intersection some other guy decided to turn right in front of her She had the right to go not him:he. Well he was driving a heaver truck and drove right over top of her car and cracked the windshield.:barnie Smashed the engine.!! Thank God the tire of his truck didn't punch all the way through her windshield and smash her.!!!!! the engine must have caught the bottom of the truck frame and stoped it from falling through. In the end his truck had less then a bent fender And a shined up frame. . And our car was completely smashed on the front with broken engine mounts. And a busted up windshield . He didn't even have car insurance to pay for it!!!!!!!!:th
cant like that last part. Here in California it is required to have insurance Bare miniumum is to have Liability.

deb

Thats a tough call. As a Single parent I had to send my son To public school. But with help from family to get him to and from school he did pretty well. He didn't learn to curse till after high school and never in front of us.

I have to tell you the education system here in California is Very Very broken. He got bullied because He corrected teachers often. Then he got very angry when the teachers spent their time Disciplining rather than teaching. Not with the teachers but with the other students.

when He hit college he was finally in the atmospehere he wanted. Teachers AND Students that wanted to be there. Subject matter that was focused toward what he wanted to learn.

By the time he was in Second Grade he was reading almost at college level... He rarely asked me what some words meant, Because he could figure it out through Context. But when he did ask I would give him Straight forward answers.

His father, Where ever he is, is a printed Circuit Board designer.... I Earned a Manufacturing Engineer title by doing the work. Couldn't afford college. Got as far as Calculus in community college. I had wanted to become a Writer but was discouraged by family.

Didnt stop my thirst for knowledge though. Hes the same way. My son failed a major course in while going for an Astronomy degree and had a nervous break down. I told him he was in good company because there were Grad students taking the course for their second time.... Astrophysics... Not even math majors are required to take it.
So mid way through he changed degree programs.

He got his degree in Geology.

But you see his gift "true gift" is in Absorbing a subject and being able to Write it in laymans terms. I can see him writing for the EPA or some Geologic consulting company. He loves field work, taking samples and analysing data.

Those qualities came from home not from school. And he survived school.

deb

Thats a tough call. As a Single parent I had to send my son To public school. But with help from family to get him to and from school he did pretty well. He didn't learn to curse till after high school and never in front of us.

I have to tell you the education system here in California is Very Very broken. He got bullied because He corrected teachers often. Then he got very angry when the teachers spent their time Disciplining rather than teaching. Not with the teachers but with the other students.

when He hit college he was finally in the atmospehere he wanted. Teachers AND Students that wanted to be there. Subject matter that was focused toward what he wanted to learn.

By the time he was in Second Grade he was reading almost at college level... He rarely asked me what some words meant, Because he could figure it out through Context. But when he did ask I would give him Straight forward answers.

His father, Where ever he is, is a printed Circuit Board designer.... I Earned a Manufacturing Engineer title by doing the work. Couldn't afford college. Got as far as Calculus in community college. I had wanted to become a Writer but was discouraged by family.

Didnt stop my thirst for knowledge though. Hes the same way. My son failed a major course in while going for an Astronomy degree and had a nervous break down. I told him he was in good company because there were Grad students taking the course for their second time.... Astrophysics... Not even math majors are required to take it.
So mid way through he changed degree programs.

He got his degree in Geology.

But you see his gift "true gift" is in Absorbing a subject and being able to Write it in laymans terms. I can see him writing for the EPA or some Geologic consulting company. He loves field work, taking samples and analysing data.

Those qualities came from home not from school. And he survived school.

deb
The K-12 public education system here in Utah is also pretty broken, IMO.

I feel that egalitarianism is very damaging, especially in the context of education. Treating everyone as if they were the same can do some serious harm, especially for outliers. Statistically, even though outliers are rarer than "average" students they still exist in large quantities, and need to be allowed the opportunity to progress at their own pace, instead of all students being constrained to a pace designed for the mean.

It sounds like your son is probably gifted intelligence-wise. I'm glad that he made it through K-12 school okay, but his experience, and the experience of many other students could be better, if the system were well-designed.

In a perfect world, all the genes which account for the variance in the g factor would be identified, so a genetic test could be used on all students to accurately and efficiently determine their ability level, which would be used to determine the pace of their schooling.

Back
Top Bottom