The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

The K-12 public education system here in Utah is also pretty broken, IMO.

I feel that egalitarianism is very damaging, especially in the context of education. Treating everyone as if they were the same can do some serious harm, especially for outliers. Statistically, even though outliers are rarer than "average" students they still exist in large quantities, and need to be allowed the opportunity to progress at their own pace, instead of all students being constrained to a pace designed for the mean.

It sounds like your son is probably gifted intelligence-wise. I'm glad that he made it through K-12 school okay, but his experience, and the experience of many other students could be better, if the system were well-designed.

In a perfect world, all the genes which account for the variance in the g factor would be identified, so a genetic test could be used on all students to accurately and efficiently determine their ability level, which would be used to determine the pace of their schooling.
Problem with that "perfect World" Intelligence cannot be quantified not yet. In an intelligence test I score at about 145... old school tests Yet my practical knowledge is higher than most because I make mistakes as I go and learn from them. Learning on the fly I have seen can be far superior... in some instances. Especially in mechanical situations. The best situation is having an educational foundation while having to learn on the fly... Which defined I belive is Trade schools.

All people have an Unique intelligence which shows itself in a non testing way... For instance the ability to read micro expressions... Most of those people can teill intuitively if you are lying or not. Or some one who can tell if a foundation is level without having to check it.

Me I have good 3D visualization. Hence the reason I make sculptures out of wire and steel and mud and what ever I can get my hands on. It also makes me good at defining what is wrong with an existing design and improve on it making it more easily manufactured. But get me out of that box and I am lost, untill I figure out where the edges are.

My son does it in words and he is very very good at it...

So I dont thing the education system is adequate for Everyone... its decent and if they would just stick to reading Writing and Arithmetic.... and leaving the other stuff for parents or life to teach... Offer up Elective courses that are mandatory... Not necessarily easy but something to spark the interest.

deb

Problem with that "perfect World" Intelligence cannot be quantified not yet. In an intelligence test I score at about 145... old school tests Yet my practical knowledge is higher than most because I make mistakes as I go and learn from them. Learning on the fly I have seen can be far superior... in some instances. Especially in mechanical situations. The best situation is having an educational foundation while having to learn on the fly... Which defined I belive is Trade schools.

All people have an Unique intelligence which shows itself in a non testing way... For instance the ability to read micro expressions... Most of those people can teill intuitively if you are lying or not. Or some one who can tell if a foundation is level without having to check it.

Me I have good 3D visualization. Hence the reason I make sculptures out of wire and steel and mud and what ever I can get my hands on. It also makes me good at defining what is wrong with an existing design and improve on it making it more easily manufactured. But get me out of that box and I am lost, untill I figure out where the edges are.

My son does it in words and he is very very good at it...

So I dont thing the education system is adequate for Everyone... its decent and if they would just stick to reading Writing and Arithmetic.... and leaving the other stuff for parents or life to teach... Offer up Elective courses that are mandatory... Not necessarily easy but something to spark the interest.

deb
Current means of quantification are definitely flawed, but if it could be done genetically, that would eliminate many of the flaws. But I think it'll take a long time to identify all of the genes.

Current means of quantification are definitely flawed, but if it could be done genetically, that would eliminate many of the flaws. But I think it'll take a long time to identify all of the genes.
Yep we also carry Resessive genes that can be passed over but pair them up with other resessive and you get Einstine, Copernicus, Euclid... Mozart, Antonio Stradivari (violin maker), Leonardo De Vinci...

deb

:frow Morning Sean, I meant to tell you earlier that I loved the Christmas Carols
Howdy Bob, glad you like them, their a little different when sung in Comanche. I would record them, and put an audio on here but I can't carry a tune in a bucket...my voice would be like finger nails on a chalk board! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom