The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Good day all. It has made it to -2°F.

VERY sadly no, not a thing :( I had really hoped that giving her my address (on the return address label), phone number and email she would at least let me know she was OK. I've also not seen anything "bad" with a Google search though so that is positive.

That's too bad about Blooie Bruce. If she ever does get in contact with you, will you let her know we all miss her here (and tell her to come back).

That answers my question :) I was wondering if part of the problem was not enough room to get yourself into a position where you could get back up. Maybe some strategically placed handholds could be useful. I hope you heal quickly.
No place to put the hand holds... I already use the cabinet door and the bathtub rim to balance when I stand up... Once up I am fine. Problem with me is I have become afraid to fall. Which is crazy because I fall well Head up butt down then I roll.... Years of being tossed by horses the body memory is still there.

Oh and falling is nothing new for me... "its not an all the sudden she is falling take her to the hospital for tests" its SOP for me. Being afraid to fall then very cautious so I wont let go of furniture to walk.... IS new. I HATE IT. Sigh

I am walking like and OLD LADY... I am not an old lady. I have just let my muscles get weak and my core strenght is bad. I been practicing when I stand to stand up and balance over my feet not my toes. Oh boy does that feel good... Looking up and not at my feet helps as well.

Walking more would help even using my walker but it still makes me hunch over..

deb

I was thinking of hand holds in your bathroom at your house since that is where you intend to be.

Are there walkers that are taller or easier to use without hunching over? Would a single cane be helpful?

Yeah, don't look down, or much above level. As I get older I find that to be destabilizing, especially looking up while turning.

That's too bad about Blooie Bruce. If she ever does get in contact with you, will you let her know we all miss her here (and tell her to come back).
I will. In fact I mentioned that in my card. I wouldn't tell her to come back but I would ask nicely ;) I wonder if she knows how much she's enriched the lives of people on BYC.

No place to put the hand holds... I already use the cabinet door and the bathtub rim to balance when I stand up... Once up I am fine. Problem with me is I have become afraid to fall. Which is crazy because I fall well Head up butt down then I roll.... Years of being tossed by horses the body memory is still there.

Oh and falling is nothing new for me... "its not an all the sudden she is falling take her to the hospital for tests" its SOP for me. Being afraid to fall then very cautious so I wont let go of furniture to walk.... IS new. I HATE IT. Sigh

I am walking like and OLD LADY... I am not an old lady. I have just let my muscles get weak and my core strenght is bad. I been practicing when I stand to stand up and balance over my feet not my toes. Oh boy does that feel good... Looking up and not at my feet helps as well.

Walking more would help even using my walker but it still makes me hunch over..

deb
Maybe a cane would help?

I was thinking of hand holds in your bathroom at your house since that is where you intend to be.

Are there walkers that are taller or easier to use without hunching over? Would a single cane be helpful?

Yeah, don't look down, or much above level. As I get older I find that to be destabilizing, especially looking up while turning.
The very best walker for me is a Shopping cart. still hunched over but I can work on that while walking... I could attach my Rolling walker behind so when my legs give out I can sit down. Sigh... funny how you become dependant on those things.

Around the house outside I can place strategic bales of hay for emergency rest stops. Have done it in the past.

House accessiblity is the pits. Bathroom is good I can take my rolling walker in there and use it for a hand hold Could even take it in the shower If I were so inclined. so am good there.

My main issue with the house is Stair steps to get into the house in three... No four places. The back door I usually dont count because I never ever use it. . But The main entrance the Green house room entrance and the laundry room entrance All have Steps two with landings and only one has a hand rail.

The laundry room has an old set of steps cobbled out of plywood and no landing....

All those are gettijng redone. shorter rise longer run... instead of three it will be boosted up to four steps. And handrails and proper landings. I hate ramps cant walk up them or down. rolling walker can handle the new configureation.

Maybe a cane would help?
No I tried... Walked with one for a couple of years after my knee surgery. but my upper body strength is gone... I need two hands. Or crutches...

I am much better than I was at almost 400 lbs for sure... just need to keep working on the little things.

deb

Back
Top Bottom