The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Good morning All! We made it home from our trip. Considering we traveled 1700 miles through country that can have bad winter driving conditions we were very fortunate, the weather was perfect for winter travel...the only snow we had come down was in Casper, WY as Debby and I waved at each other as we passed through! My chickens are all in good condition, but my Salmon Faverolles has gone Broody again...oh well, she will just have to stay that way a little longer until it warms up a bit more so I can place her into broody jail, but I might bring her into our daylight basement, I would put her in the garage, but with the finish we are using on the cabinets it wouldn't be healthy for her! I hope you are all doing well!💞

@Grammy60 - Hi Sue, I saw on another thread that you fell and fractured your wrist, I hope that it is healing and I'm thankful that it wasn't something worse! 💞

Good morning All! We made it home from our trip. Considering we traveled 1700 miles through country that can have bad winter driving conditions we were very fortunate, the weather was perfect for winter travel...the only snow we had come down was in Casper, WY as Debby and I waved at each other as we passed through! My chickens are all in good condition, but my Salmon Faverolles has gone Broody again...oh well, she will just have to stay that way a little longer until it warms up a bit more so I can place her into broody jail, but I might bring her into our daylight basement, I would put her in the garage, but with the finish we are using on the cabinets it wouldn't be healthy for her! I hope you are all doing well!💞

@Grammy60 - Hi Sue, I saw on another thread that you fell and fractured your wrist, I hope that it is healing and I'm thankful that it wasn't something worse! 💞
Welcome back!

Do you have to Quarantine now?

Here's a couple pics of the wee one :love
View attachment 2496586
And grandpa got some snuggles by the fire this morning!
View attachment 2496589
She’s a cutie!
Get your tanning lotion and beach towel out DMC :lol:

DH and I were talking last week that so far we've been lucky with winter this year. We're waiting for the shoe to drop any time. Hopefully not in April when we're all desperate for spring!
I’m too old to tan. If I don’t get a tan from being outside doing something it isn’t happening:lol:

Good morning Ron and thank you! No, we stayed pretty secluded on the trip, so I'm not worried about it at all and the chances of getting it without extended close contact are pretty slim!
Some states require quarantine when you come back from out of state

Good job and hatching the eggs! Raising them seems to take a lot of dedication

I did wonder what I was doing to myself as I got up at 4.30am to feed the littlest one. 🤣 Feeding them doesn't take the time, it's mixing the handrearing formula and making sure it's the right temperature, then cleaning everything up after they've eaten that takes the time.

For a very cheap, basic incubator it does extremely well. My chicken eggs are incubating away but I discovered one is a double yolker with 2 babies currently alive and well inside it. Some of my bigger birds do lay a longer, skinnier egg so I didn't think anything of it, and they have never, ever given me a double yolked egg before (I'm always jealous of people that do get them). So we'll see how far that one gets. It must be one of the bantams that laid it so hopefully the babies won't get too big.

One of our big Orpingtons has just gone broody but she hurt her leg awhile back and walks with a limp. I don't think she's in pain with it as she can get some speed up when there's the promise of food (she's the fattest chicken ever). I'd love to give her the bigger chicks to raise but I'm worried she'd squash them by accident. I think today is day 10 so I still have a bit of time to mull that over.

Glad you are back safe and sound. That's quite a trip! Driving the length of New Zealand would be 1298 miles which seems awfully far to me. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom