The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Next question...
Since using 2 pie crusts, should I poke holes & pre-bake the bottom crust first?
No idea on that BUT

Months ago someone called into Milk Street Radio (cooking show) asking about soggy bottom pie crust. One thing they said is you should always put it on a rack in the LOWEST position. I emailed and asked was that still the recommendation if your oven doesn't have a bottom heat element and they said yes. Being low in the oven will make it hotter on the bottom.

My "top element only" oven DOES have a bottom element though ... hidden under the oven pan. This is the "bake" element. I originally thought it only had the exposed top element since prior ovens had an exposed element both the top and bottom. Since this oven has only one exposed element I made a bad assumption!

No idea on that BUT

Months ago someone called into Milk Street Radio (cooking show) asking about soggy bottom pie crust. One thing they said is you should always put it on a rack in the LOWEST position. I emailed and asked was that still the recommendation if your oven doesn't have a bottom heat element and they said yes. Being low in the oven will make it hotter on the bottom.

My "top element only" oven DOES have a bottom element though ... hidden under the oven pan. This is the "bake" element. I originally thought it only had the exposed top element since prior ovens had an exposed element both the top and bottom. Since this oven has only one exposed element I made a bad assumption!
Interesting!

It just got cooled down so I took a before photo :p
20211027_182257.jpg

Back
Top Bottom