The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Good morning. Today the Princess and I celebrate our 58th wedding anniversary.

Congratulations to you Sour and your Princess on 58 years together :love

anniversary happy.jpg

Good morning. Today the Princess and I celebrate our 58th wedding anniversary.
Oh, Happy Anniversary Sour and Princess!! I’m just tickled for both of you!! The two of you have almost exactly 4 years on Ken and me….we’ll hit 54 years on the 28th of next month, but only because there is no 29th again this year.

Good morning, everyone!! Wade woke me up early this morning with his compressor and pounding! He’s putting the soffit (?) up on the inside ceiling of the porch. The roof is on, the columns are on, and it’s looking so good out there.

Yesterday was Appraisal Day. She seemed to really like the house, she said it was great for resale that we included features for disabilities, and the biggest compliment of all was when she said she does a lot of these and always enjoys seeing modulars like ours that don’t look or feel like modulars on either the inside or outside. So far so good, right? Well, then she “toured” the outside. Uh oh. She went into the hot tub room, which is right now a hot mess room. There is clutter and junk from one end to the other. And then the garage. I’ve been after Ken-the-Hoarder for 8 years to clean out that pit. Nope. Every winter he says, “Come spring the first thing I’ve got to do is get that garage shoveled out.” Nope. It may bite us in the hiney now. Rats!!

Daughter Tam works in the Assisted Living side of the New Horizon’s Care Center in Lovell. She was promoted to that pod about 6 years ago. She has repeatedly told me that if I end up in there, she’s either asking for a transfer to the dementia pods or quitting. She likes Assisted Living because the residents there are pretty much able to take care of their basic needs on their own and they have such a great time with activities like her painting classes, the carnival, the luaus, etc. They’re like a family. She still helps with basic care - vitals, fall risks, and the occasional toileting and “clean-up on aisle 4” stuff. She has one resident who is a fall risk and weighs about 300 pounds, so she uses the lift to move him around but once he’s up, he does just fine. When she finally gets them down for the night (sundowners excluded), she is busy with cleaning wheelchairs, chatting with and keeping an eye on those who don’t sleep, kitchen duty and charting.

When she worked the other pods (or fills in for someone over there after her residents are bedded down for the night), she’s had walkers thrown at her, been spit on, got a black eye from one resident punching her in the face when she did a bed check, has been pushed down hard (that one resulted in 3 weeks of back and neck treatments), and been grabbed in most sexual manner. She says it’s so hard sometimes to remember that none of these people would ever have behaved so badly if dementia hadn’t taken over their minds, leaving their bodies still so strong. She’s repeatedly said she doesn’t know how families, especially those still trying to work and raise families, can care for any dementia victim at home. She doesn’t know whether to admire them for their fortitude and dedication or give them a good boot in the hiney and telling them that they need to admit when enough is enough! But the law says that when the majority of these families reach that point, the patient still has to sign a ton of paperwork consenting to placement, and they are not always cooperative, so it becomes a stalemate between the family, the patient, the state and the facility. So unfair to everyone!

I guess, in reading through these posts regarding your mom, Jainie and Bob, the only real answer is that there are no easy answers, and it stinks to high Heaven. :hugs

Oh, Happy Anniversary Sour and Princess!! I’m just tickled for both of you!! The two of you have almost exactly 4 years on Ken and me….we’ll hit 54 years on the 28th of next month, but only because there is no 29th again this year.

Good morning, everyone!! Wade woke me up early this morning with his compressor and pounding! He’s putting the soffit (?) up on the inside ceiling of the porch. The roof is on, the columns are on, and it’s looking so good out there.

Yesterday was Appraisal Day. She seemed to really like the house, she said it was great for resale that we included features for disabilities, and the biggest compliment of all was when she said she does a lot of these and always enjoys seeing modulars like ours that don’t look or feel like modulars on either the inside or outside. So far so good, right? Well, then she “toured” the outside. Uh oh. She went into the hot tub room, which is right now a hot mess room. There is clutter and junk from one end to the other. And then the garage. I’ve been after Ken-the-Hoarder for 8 years to clean out that pit. Nope. Every winter he says, “Come spring the first thing I’ve got to do is get that garage shoveled out.” Nope. It may bite us in the hiney now. Rats!!

Daughter Tam works in the Assisted Living side of the New Horizon’s Care Center in Lovell. She was promoted to that pod about 6 years ago. She has repeatedly told me that if I end up in there, she’s either asking for a transfer to the dementia pods or quitting. She likes Assisted Living because the residents there are pretty much able to take care of their basic needs on their own and they have such a great time with activities like her painting classes, the carnival, the luaus, etc. They’re like a family. She still helps with basic care - vitals, fall risks, and the occasional toileting and “clean-up on aisle 4” stuff. She has one resident who is a fall risk and weighs about 300 pounds, so she uses the lift to move him around but once he’s up, he does just fine. When she finally gets them down for the night (sundowners excluded), she is busy with cleaning wheelchairs, chatting with and keeping an eye on those who don’t sleep, kitchen duty and charting.

When she worked the other pods (or fills in for someone over there after her residents are bedded down for the night), she’s had walkers thrown at her, been spit on, got a black eye from one resident punching her in the face when she did a bed check, has been pushed down hard (that one resulted in 3 weeks of back and neck treatments), and been grabbed in most sexual manner. She says it’s so hard sometimes to remember that none of these people would ever have behaved so badly if dementia hadn’t taken over their minds, leaving their bodies still so strong. She’s repeatedly said she doesn’t know how families, especially those still trying to work and raise families, can care for any dementia victim at home. She doesn’t know whether to admire them for their fortitude and dedication or give them a good boot in the hiney and telling them that they need to admit when enough is enough! But the law says that when the majority of these families reach that point, the patient still has to sign a ton of paperwork consenting to placement, and they are not always cooperative, so it becomes a stalemate between the family, the patient, the state and the facility. So unfair to everyone!

I guess, in reading through these posts regarding your mom, Jainie and Bob, the only real answer is that there are no easy answers, and it stinks to high Heaven. :hugs
Well said as usual Blooie !

Back
Top Bottom