The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Thanks, guys! You know, I look back on these photos and it sure brings back memories. I made all of the table flower arrangements, bouquets, boutonniers, the cake topper, and Jenny’s veil. I also made the invitations. It was so much fun!

A beautiful spring wedding was planned, outdoors at the Pavilion in Tuthill Park. We went over there two days before to set the arches at the gazebo, doublecheck on chairs, and decorate the reception tables inside the hall next to the Pavilion. It was gorgeous…warm, sunny, all the lilacs surrounding the Pavilion area were in full bloom, and all around the sides of the gazebo the tulips and irises were blooming their hearts out! Perfect setting! We had also rented the area on the south side of the pavilion where there were picnic tables and grills for a good old fashioned barbecue, with the groom, Ken, and my brothers in charge of the burgers and dogs. It was supposed to be a very low key, relaxed wedding and reception. No fancy stuff for this family. We should have known we’d be in trouble when the big crinoline slip for under Jenny’s gown came up missing. Nobody had it, not her mom, her sisters, the shop (and I knew Jen’s mom had picked it up) and it wasn’t with me and Jenny either. At the time Jenny was living with Ken and me. Her other disappointment was not getting her braces off that week in time for the wedding. The orthodontist still wasn’t quite satisfied, so they had to stay on.

The day before the wedding the weather turned, and in true South Dakota fashion it REALLY changed! It was cold, windy, dreary, and we had rain mixed with snow. The day of the wedding, it was mostly snow, although it wasn’t sticking. We had to move the ceremony to Jenny’s church. That move went better than we feared it would, and by the end of the ceremony it looked like it was clearing. So we all headed back to the Park for the barbecue….all the food, drinks, and tables were there. Everyone piled out of their cars and the boys went to start cooking. Nope. Grills were soaking wet, winds were coming in strong, and the guys weren’t going to be able to cook anything out there. After a hasty conference with the wedding party and guests, we headed into the pavilion reception hall for a few photos, then everyone loaded everything up in their cars and we headed about 20 miles west to Jenny’s mom’s farm. Three huge gas grills were hastily set up inside her stepdad’s garage, along with whatever seating we could scrounge up. We had a full on blast that day and well into the night.

You know how brides always obsess over every detail of their weddings, and fall apart the second even one small thing goes wrong? Not my Jenny! Her dress hung funny without the full slip, and her braces weren’t removed that week, but she didn’t worry about it. What was done was done, and she still looked beautiful. She helped load stuff into cars, shivering, laughing, and smiling.

I tell you this long story so you’ll know why, with all of the photos taken that day, this one is my favorite. It’s framed and rests among my other family photos. It’s how they started their lives together, and how they remain 26 years later. We were loading up to head to the farm, and Kenny went to his car to get his jacket for his freezing cold bride. Would you look at that smile? That’s our Jenny. Most brides would have been hysterical. Not Jen. :love She still rolls with whatever life throws her way, safely wrapped in Kenny’s warmth and sharing her own sweet nature!
BE60A213-65FB-445F-A6F8-743D9B091022.jpeg

Thanks, guys! You know, I look back on these photos and it sure brings back memories. I made all of the table flower arrangements, bouquets, boutonniers, the cake topper, and Jenny’s veil. I also made the invitations. It was so much fun!

A beautiful spring wedding was planned, outdoors at the Pavilion in Tuthill Park. We went over there two days before to set the arches at the gazebo, doublecheck on chairs, and decorate the reception tables inside the hall next to the Pavilion. It was gorgeous…warm, sunny, all the lilacs surrounding the Pavilion area were in full bloom, and all around the sides of the gazebo the tulips and irises were blooming their hearts out! Perfect setting! We had also rented the area on the south side of the pavilion where there were picnic tables and grills for a good old fashioned barbecue, with the groom, Ken, and my brothers in charge of the burgers and dogs. It was supposed to be a very low key, relaxed wedding and reception. No fancy stuff for this family. We should have known we’d be in trouble when the big crinoline slip for under Jenny’s gown came up missing. Nobody had it, not her mom, her sisters, the shop (and I knew Jen’s mom had picked it up) and it wasn’t with me and Jenny either. At the time Jenny was living with Ken and me. Her other disappointment was not getting her braces off that week in time for the wedding. The orthodontist still wasn’t quite satisfied, so they had to stay on.

The day before the wedding the weather turned, and in true South Dakota fashion it REALLY changed! It was cold, windy, dreary, and we had rain mixed with snow. The day of the wedding, it was mostly snow, although it wasn’t sticking. We had to move the ceremony to Jenny’s church. That move went better than we feared it would, and by the end of the ceremony it looked like it was clearing. So we all headed back to the Park for the barbecue….all the food, drinks, and tables were there. Everyone piled out of their cars and the boys went to start cooking. Nope. Grills were soaking wet, winds were coming in strong, and the guys weren’t going to be able to cook anything out there. After a hasty conference with the wedding party and guests, we headed into the pavilion reception hall for a few photos, then everyone loaded everything up in their cars and we headed about 20 miles west to Jenny’s mom’s farm. Three huge gas grills were hastily set up inside her stepdad’s garage, along with whatever seating we could scrounge up. We had a full on blast that day and well into the night.

You know how brides always obsess over every detail of their weddings, and fall apart the second even one small thing goes wrong? Not my Jenny! Her dress hung funny without the full slip, and her braces weren’t removed that week, but she didn’t worry about it. What was done was done, and she still looked beautiful. She helped load stuff into cars, shivering, laughing, and smiling.

I tell you this long story so you’ll know why, with all of the photos taken that day, this one is my favorite. It’s framed and rests among my other family photos. It’s how they started their lives together, and how they remain 26 years later. We were loading up to head to the farm, and Kenny went to his car to get his jacket for his freezing cold bride. Would you look at that smile? That’s our Jenny. Most brides would have been hysterical. Not Jen. :love She still rolls with whatever life throws her way, safely wrapped in Kenny’s warmth and sharing her own sweet nature!
View attachment 3123441

Glad everything worked out so nicely for everyone Blooie ❤️

DMC, I've lost track of days...did you make the trip to the Planetarium?
Hi Debby, yesterday. It was neat. The kids for the most part were good. We went to McDonalds with the whole crew. The food was supposed to be ready but someone screwed up so they were pretty antsy while waiting. I really like the teachers but they don’t have a lot of control over their kids. It was a free for all at the pop machine.

Good morning folks :frow

Morning Bob, will you be getting a long weekend with the Memorial holiday coming up?
Yup and I'm looking forward to it.
:frow

Today is Kenny and Jenny’s 26th anniversary! Got the whole crew coming over for a nice anniversary supper for them….pork schnitzel, applesauce, sauerkraut, wedge taters, homemade rye bread (final rise as I type), and English peas and corn. All of that makes up one of the meals I cook that are kids’ favorite meals.….except the peas are more for Ken, Katie, Evan and me. Kenny won’t eat them - calls them “clones”. Jenny won’t eat them - calls them “Pac Man Pellets”. And Tam won’t eat them - says they’re green. (Well, duh!) But I grew up having peas with schnitzel and I’m not giving them up! I had a cake made for the kids so I’ll be picking that up this morning.

Funny….I don’t even remember our 26th anniversary and now here it is, my youngest child’s 26th. When did THAT happen? Not the clearest photo since it’s a screen shot of the photo of a photo…

View attachment 3123155

Debby, quit complaining about your slow, inept movers!! I’m paying them good money to drag their feet in hopes that that buys me time to run down to Casper for a proper goodbye! ;) Glad your son is driving down with you.
What a wonderful memory
Good morning all…two days of school left :yesss:
:frow Good morning DMC, have a great day
Good morning everyone 🌻
:frow Good morning Janie, have a great day

Back
Top Bottom