The nightmare that is sewing

Ninjasquirrel

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Ive been working on a quilt that a friend asked me to complete for them and its almost done but I ran into an issue this morning that was driving me bonkers. I'm using an old 1980s kenmore and shes pretty reliable.

So this morning I noticed my quilting was puckering so immediately I knew something was wrong with the tension. I had just recently switched to a new thread so I figured that was the reason. I tried over and over and over and I was still having problems. I was adjusting the pressure, adjusting the top tension and here and there, changing the needle out, I saw improvement but STILL PUCKERING. Finally I said, "well, I did just rewind the bobbin...must be that". Pulled the bobbin out and loosened the tension. Immediately waaaay worse. Then tightened it back the other way and BOOM. Perfect stitching. An hour and a half later problem solved :he

Ive been working on a quilt that a friend asked me to complete for them and its almost done but I ran into an issue this morning that was driving me bonkers. I'm using an old 1980s kenmore and shes pretty reliable.

So this morning I noticed my quilting was puckering so immediately I knew something was wrong with the tension. I had just recently switched to a new thread so I figured that was the reason. I tried over and over and over and I was still having problems. I was adjusting the pressure, adjusting the top tension and here and there, changing the needle out, I saw improvement but STILL PUCKERING. Finally I said, "well, I did just rewind the bobbin...must be that". Pulled the bobbin out and loosened the tension. Immediately waaaay worse. Then tightened it back the other way and BOOM. Perfect stitching. An hour and a half later problem solved :he
I know only basic sewing, by if there's anything in the world that would give me reason to curse, that would be it!
Glad you figured it out, eventually

Ugh, the main reason I hate machine stitching quilts. I tie or hand sew. Puckering makes me crazy. I also hate trying to fix tension on the sewing machine. 😖
Glad you got it all worked out and finished!

Ugh, the main reason I hate machine stitching quilts. I tie or hand sew. Puckering makes me crazy. I also hate trying to fix tension on the sewing machine. 😖
Glad you got it all worked out and finished!
The main reason I hate it is "stuffing and fluffing". Once you're out of the middle its not so bad. This was a king size quilt so it was very bulky and very heavy!

My latest quilt is still in half a million pieces all over the studio. I've dragged some up to the coffee table to sit on the comfy sofa to pin for faster sewing another day.

Did you have a thread stuck in the tension spring?

My latest quilt is still in half a million pieces all over the studio. I've dragged some up to the coffee table to sit on the comfy sofa to pin for faster sewing another day.

Did you have a thread stuck in the tension spring?
Before I discovered it was my bobbin that was causing the trouble I was beginning to think my upper tensioner was broken. Luckily it wasnt! Other than the occasional oiling I've never had to service that machine and theres very few places that could with how old it is. My neighbor luckily restores old machines and is a sewing machine enthusiast but I hate to bother her

Mis-wound bobbin is the first thing I think of.
OH, here's one for you. I have a crappy spool of METTLER thread! about every 50 feet is a weak spot, and it snaps. I'd change it out, but it's my last spool of color specific for a project and a new spool is a two hour round trip to get.

Back
Top Bottom