The number 1 best way to get rid of those pesky foxes

Golden Brahma 64

Songster
Apr 28, 2018
Ireland
What You Need to Know About Foxes:
Foxes are extremely smart. They will watch you and your habits and learn when it is the safest to make an attack on your poultry
Because they are so intelligent, you are more likely to catch a raccoon or your barn cat in a live trap.

While foxes do hunt at night most of the time, they will hunt during the day time. This is especially true during winter and when a mother has kits to feed.

The best way to keep your birds safe while you try to get rid of foxes is to keep them in a secure coop and run.

Then one day we got a tip from an old timer- someone who’s been a farmer and livestock owner for a long time. And here it is:

The #1 Way to Get Rid of Foxes for Good:
Urine.

And I don’t mean marking your territory around the chicken coop or run. That won’t deter these foxes- though it’s probably a good idea to still do that.

What you have do do is search out the actual den and urinate directly into it.

This can be quite fun for any young boys you might have at your place. Send them on a fox hunt and let them mark any areas that look like they might be fox dens.

The foxes on our property like to move into old groundhog holes, so we mark all those as well.

upload_2018-8-16_23-42-25.jpeg

I wouldn't argue with either of these solutions as it's possible both would work, assuming you wanted to go looking for the den and could find it, and assuming it was on your property. A neighbor tells me she had a momma fox raise 3 or 4 kits on her place, but she enjoyed watching them and didn't want them disturbed. And the same with shooting them. I'm told by both neighbors they have seen foxes on their place and mine, yet I've never seen one. You can't shoot what you can't see, and that assumes I'm "packing" 24/7 and at the ready all the time. I'm not.

Good news for me is I don't have to be. Ive got an electric fence on guard 24/7 and it will bust their chops to such an extent they get blasted into next week and never come back. Maybe that's why I never see them?

What do I do wait up at night ? Or smoke him out then get him ? I’m desperate
You are responding on an old thread. If you don’t get responses its better to start a new one.

Imho: its quit useless to shoot predators. They live in territories. If you shoot one, another will take over eventually. In the mean time you can get a rat or mouse plague because you shot the foxes.

Best solution if you ask me:
A good/secure run if nobody is around during daytime. And always lock the chickens up safely at night.
I have a run that’s 1.8 meter high with very strong netting on top. And hwc in the ground against digging.

I don’t know about the urine. 🤷🏻‍♀️

What do I do wait up at night ? Or smoke him out then get him ? I’m desperate
:welcome :frow I had a fox that I was having issues with. I put some live traps out and baited them daily for a few days and let the fox take the bait then set the trap. Bingo. The fox was eliminated. This one was coming out during the day and killed my favorite bird. I have seen other fox since. I had an issue with a coyote too. I had used the birds body as bait. The coyote wouldn't go into the big trap but did get a hold of a leg and dragged the trap over then tried to get at the bird by digging under the trap. You can see where it tried to dig under the trap. I moved the trap back to where it was. Good luck...
DSCF0010 18.jpg
DSCF0012 20.jpg

Back
Top Bottom