1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The odd hen out

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dodgersmomma, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Ok, I know that there is already soooo many posts about hens not laying and I know the reasons why they stop but I just want to know why my hen is like this and how I can fix it.

I got 4 chickens in march (1 roster, 3 hens) 2 of the hens were 7 months old and 1 was about 3 mounths old. After they all got comfortable the to older ones (Rhode Island Red and an Americauna) started laying. Every day I would get a brown egg and a blue egg. After a little bit more time my other hen (Sex-Link) started laying and I decided to hatch some eggs. 2 days after choosing to hatch eggs my Americauna quit laying eggs, she would go for days without an egg and then some days I would go out there and there would be a broken blue egg in the box, now I get nothing. It has been over a month since I got an egg from her. What is wrong? What can I do to fix it? A lady I know asked me to hatch some eggs for her and she wants some Americaunas, What do I say to her?

She acts just like the other hens, gets treated the same as the other hens, eats the same thing as the other hens (feed for egg layers), and gets the same amout of sun as the other hens.

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Maybe she doesn't like to lay eggs in the hot weather?? Hasn't had an effect on my birds yet, but I have heard it can.

I would start checking really often...every hour or two, just to make sure she isn't eating her eggs.

[​IMG]

3. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

If she's brooding a clutch of eggs, she won't lay.

4. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    She isn't broody, I wish she was but she is not. Is there anything else that could be wrong?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by