The $ of seed had sky-rocketed.....

Acre of Blessings

Canning/Sewing Addict
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Axton, VA
I was at our local feed store yesterday and I was browsing while waiting. Well I was looking at the vegetable seeds and I noticed a price increase. Then I had to look again.....seed corn was, get this, $10.00 a pound!!!!!
ep.gif

I thought to myself "Oh, MY! Well I got to looking closer and all the beans and peas, of all sorts, have already increased to $3 to $4 a pound. I was told by the owner that I haven't seen anything yet, that those were the old prices. Unfortunately I didn't have enough money to get any right then for next year but Iwill by the weeks end.

I canot believe the price. I understand we had a dry year in these parts but "MY, Oh MY".
God help us.

So what are the prices of seed in your area?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I went to town for groceries and I found some seeds marked down to almost nothing at the Dollar General Market. I grabbed all I could.
Thanks good ness people are offering us fruits and veggies. This is how I am doing alot of canning this year. Gotta get my hiney in gear for next years garden.

My canning is nearly done (WOO HOO!). I could only afford it b/c I used my birthday money. Don't tell my parents. Wish I could have bought some clothes instead, but I needed winter food more than winter clothes.

<sigh...> Being poor sucks. I hope my DBF can get a job soon. He's been looking for MONTHS.

Speaking of the garden, I've gotta get my veggie garden for next year set up. We're taking over the front lawn for it. The neighbors already think I'm nuts - may as well grow veggies out front to prove it. At least the veggies are safe from chickens in the front yard.

Quote:
Nuts or Smart and Trendy? All a matter of perspective. I think you'll be seeing a lot more lawns getting turned into veggie patches in the years ahead. Speaking of, in our local newspaper there was an article about this phenomenon, with the following quote: "Lawns are the Hummers of the landscaping world." LOL

Back
Top Bottom