The Official "Hey Grandpa" Recipe Thread

Backyard Buddies

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Orange County, CA
This is the Official "Hey Grandpa" Recipe Thread, created to retain all the wonderful recipes posted in the "Hey Grandpa" thread. With the Big Delete about to take place, we can all work together to bring those recipes over before they're lost forever.

Here's how to do it:

1. Get your assigned pages at the Hey Grandpa part 2 thread.
2. Open up the old thread, then minimize it.
3. Log in again to BYC, open up this thread. Click reply. Minimize.
4. Open up the old thread again, scroll through your assigned pages. If you find a recipe, copy it.
5. Open up the new thread again and paste it into the reply window. Submit.
6. Repeat until you've completed your pages and let us know (on the new Hey Grandpa thread) that you've finished so that we can continue working through the thread before it is deleted.

Once we get the recipes moved over, I'll edit this page and see if we can start an index.

(To the Mods - I put this in Games, Jokes, and Fun since that is where Hey Grandpa is located. If you need to move it to Recipes, please let us know. Thanks!)

Author: Miss Prissy
Date: 2/15/2008:

Today is friday. Fish on friday, Yogiman. Yeah, it is a Southern thing, too, ya'll!

Fried fish (probably lovely flounder fillets or maybe catfish)
Potatoes (baked or fried, still undecided)
Salad (slaw or green, still undecided)
Hushpuppies
lemon dessert (probably a nice lemon meringue)
Iced Tea (the house wine of the south)

recipes:

Fish-
Roll seasoned fish in cornmeal and season flour mixture and deep fry in hot peanut oil. Drain on paper towels.

Potatoes-Wash. Wrap in foil and bake at 400F until done or slice into strips and fry after the fish.

Hushpuppies- - close enough for gov't work.

Salad -
Salad tossed - you know the drill
Coleslaw - cabbage shredded, onion shreded, dill relish, carrots grated, salt, pepper, dukes mayo, salt, mix and chill.

Lemon Pie - ha! Edwards in your freezer case. I have a lot to do today and don't have time for a homemade one.

Tea - 5 tea bag and a quart of water. Bring to a boil. Turn off. Let steep. Remove tea bags while hot. Stir in 1/2 - 1 cup sugar and let the sugar melt into the hot brew. Pour into a 1 gallon pitcher. Fill to the top with cold water. Refrigerate. Serve over ice. If you want it unsweet leave out the suagr. if you want it less sweet add less sugar. Want it sweeter? If you want syrup it is in the pantry.

Bon appetite, ya'll!

Author: Wegotchickens
Date: 2/15/2008

Meatloaf: ground beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, seasonings. I mash it all together, make it loaf shaped and pour ketchup over the top. Bake until done. I don't follow a recipe, but wing it.

Taters: If you don't know how, bless your heart!

Asparagus: Rinse, snap off bottom part where it snaps easiest. Pour some Italian dressing (oil based) into a fry pan, throw in the asparagus, cover with a lid. Saute in dressing until desired doneness, stirring every so often.

Biscuits: Bisquick. Deal with it.

Author: Morgaine

Teriyaki Chicken with veggie fried rice and egg rolls(Chungs)

Teriyaki Sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 small onion, cut in large chunks
1-2 garlic cloves quartered
2 nickle sized peices of fresh ginger, peeled and quartered
1/3 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbl vinegar
1 tbl cornstarch

In a saucepan, put the first five ingrdients. Simmer for 10 min then strain off onion, garlic and ginger. Put the liquid back in the pan and bring to a boil. Add the next three ingredients and bring back back to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Combine cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and then add to saucem mixing in well and remove from heat when starting to thicken. Use 1/2 as a marinade for chicken and then grill. Or cut up chicken, brown and then simmer in sauce until done.

Veggie fried rice
1/2 small onion, diced
1 cup frozen peas ans carrots
1/2 cup frozen corn
1-2 cups frozen broccoli floretts
any other leftover veggies you have or want to add
4-6 eggs, I pre scramble mine because my pan is not big enough to hold it all and cook the eggs on the side
2 cups rice, cooked and cooled
2-3 tbl oil or butter
3 tbl soy sauce or 2 tbl of teriyaki sauce

Mix all the veggies and rice and 1/2 of the soy sauce. Mix in your pre scrambled eggs now if you are cooking them. Heat your oil in your biggest pan or wok. Add the rice and the remaining sauce and cook for five minutes, constantly stirring. If you didn't pre cook your eggs, push rice to the side and add butter if you need it and scramble the eggs and then mix them into the rice. Keep cooking rice until veggies are cooked all the way through.

Thats it.

Author: Redfeathers

Potato & Bacon soup with Onions and garlic. Fresh baked french bread. No ideas for dessert but we don't often have it anyway.

chop up the bacon, fry until crisp then drain.

Chop up onions (or leeks) and peeled potatoes while the bacon is frying.

Add the onion to the bacon and saute until the onions are translucent.

Add milk to soup pot until it covers the potatoes, depending on how many potatoes you peel and chop. I chop enough for a full soup pot so we can have left overs, so around 7 to 9 potatoes. As the soup cooks I add water or chicken stock so the soup is thick but not too thick.

Season to taste as it cooks. I use garlic and onion powder, salt or seasoned salt and pepper. Paprika is good in this as well.

Sorry I don't have better measurements, I hardly ever measure when I cook.

This is a thick, warm and comforting soup that you can make as thick or thin as you like. Be prepared to add more seasonings then you would expect because the potatoes soak it up.

Yummy stuff.

Author: Seachick

Parsnip rolls-
very tender. A great way to get kids to eat their veggies (and to use up the pounds and pounds of parsnips I have in the fridge!
Makes 30 rolls (I freeze batches)

1 # parsnips
1/4 cup light brown sugar
nutmeg (fresh-grated if possible) aprox 1/16th tsp
2 tsp kosher/coarse salt or 1 tsp table salt
1 cup milk
6 Tablespoons butter
2 tsp lemon peel
1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
4-5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
melted butter

Peel parsnips and chop roughly. Cook in 2 cups salted water aprox 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain and mash well or use food processor (should equal about 1 cup). beat in brown sugar, nutmeg, salt, milk, butter and lemon peel. In medium bowl dissolve yeast in warm water (100-110 degrees). Add parsnip mixture and then stir in flour cup by cup until staerts to come away from sides of bowl. Turn onto floured board, wash out the bowl, dry it and oil it while dough rests a minute or two. The knead, adding flour as needed, 4-5 minutes until smooth.
Place in oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with plastic wrap, and place bowl over a pan of hot but not boiling water until double in volume (30-40 min?)
Turn dougn out and form balls. Place on buttered baking sheet, cover with towel, let rise until doubled. Bake in preheated 375 oven 15-20 minutes until golden. remove and brush with melted butter.

Orange-garlic broccolini

Blanche one bunch broccolini in boiling water until just tender, about 5 minutes. Plunge into ice water bath to cool, and drain. Can do this well in advance.

Chop:
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp orange peel (just the orange part, no white)
1/3 cup kalamata olives, optional

Saute the garlic. Add the broccolini, orange peel, olives, salt and pepper and heat through.

Author: BearSwampChick
Date: 2/17/2008

Here is my cornbread recipe:

BUTTERMILK CORNBREAD

1 cup stone-ground white corn meal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil or bacon grease

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. While the oven is preheating, put your cast iron skillet in there with the oil or bacon grease.

Mix the dry ingredients together with a whisk. Add the eggs and the buttermilk and stir until well mixed. Carefully take the hot skillet out of the oven and swirl the grease around the bottom of the pan and then pour the excess into the batter and mix in. Pour the batter into the hot skillet, it will sizzle. That's how you get the nice crust on the bottom and it won't stick to the pan. Bake about 15-20 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove from pan onto cutting board and cut into wedges.

Note: It's hard to find stone-ground white corn meal in my area. I buy Hodgson's Mill at Jungle Jim's near Cincinnati.

Author: patandchickens
Date: 2/20/2008

try putting Worcestershire sauce in your bbq sauce, it really helps.

my basic recipe: 1 c ketchup
4 Tbsp brown sugar (or less)
4 Tbsp vinegar
4 Tbsp W'shire sauce
dried mustard
garlic or garlic powder
black pepper

Author: MissPrissy

I use my black cast iron skillet for making my BBQ sauce.

I don't measure so this is a lick and a promise.

Into the skillet - med heat-

2 cups ketchup
1 tbsp yellow mustard

Stir in 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce and mix well.
1 tbsp. honey - mix well.
1 tbsp. brown sugar - mix well.
A dash of garlic powder
To kick it up add black pepper. I prefer the course grind. It adds more heat than you think.

Let it come to a good bubble. Stir it well. If it is too thick add a little more worcestershire.
Cook for abut 5 - 10 min. Remove from heat.

Taste it, adjust the flavors as needed.

I do a mustard based one but it is rather complicated and not everyone likes a mustard style BBQ sauce.

Author: MissPrissy

My husband and I love all meat chili with a hearty kick. My kids do not. So don't fuss at me about chili being all meat. This isn't Texas. It is Virginia. LOL

This is my compromise chili.

I cook dried beans for it. In a pinch I use Hanover brand canned beans.

1 jumbo onion, dices.
8 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

2 cans black beans
2 cans light red kindney beans
2 cans dark red kidney beans
2 cans pinto beans
1 lg can tomato sauce
1 lg can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 can tomato paste

3lbs ground beef (I use 75/25% because the fat makes the flavor)

Chilli powder to taste.

In a skillet saute the onions and garlic in olive oil until the onions are clear. (Sometimes I add celery, finely grated carrot and bell pepper).

Move it over into your large stock pot.
Add all the canned beans and tomatoes.
Bring to low simmer.

Brown off the ground beef.

Add it to the bean mixture.

Add 1/4 chili powder (taste it you might want more or less).

Stir well.

Cover and simmer on low for a couple hours.

If it starts to get too thick add a bottle beer instead of water to the pot.

Serve with cornbread, cheese, sour cream and thinly sliced green onions. a salad can be served along side it but not tonight. Not in the mood for it. LOL

All of the different colored beans really made a festive and colorful bowl.

Back
Top Bottom