The old fashion way...What to do???

newchickmom

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 8, 2007
Lafayette, Indiana
I had a broody so I decided to give her some eggs. I gave her 5 eggs on the 4th. I have candled them and all seem to be growing nicely.
Problem: I have a second broody now and every time the first one gets off the nest, the other one takes over and the first one will just return to a different nest with a couple of golf balls in it.
Will it be safe to put the hen and eggs in the brooder I have, or will she stay sitting if she is moved.
Here is a pic of my brooder I use for chicks.

IMG_0787.jpg

Moving her could cause her to abandon the eggs all together. As long as a hen is sitting the eggs are incubating. I really don't see a problem. The hen knows when to get up and leave the eggs and come back to them. As you approach day 21 she will start to sit tight. Make sure you have plenty of fresh water and feed where she can get to it. You might try hand feeding her some treats like cooked eggs.

Let the hen raise the chicks. You won't need the brooder. She will teach them everything they need to know. Believe me it is MUCH easier.

Is there a way you can block her off in the coop so she doesnt "loose" her eggs??? What silly chickens !!!!! I would put up somthing around her with food and water inside it intill they hatch !!! Thats just me !!! Good luck and keep us updated !!!!

Is there a way to separate broody #2. Maybe keep her from bogarting the nest. I think I would try to do that, and remove the golf balls from the other nest so broody #1 won't be interested in that one. JMHO. Good luck, and here's hoping for many fuzzy-butts!

Quote:
As long as none of the other chickens are hurting the babies then you should be all set (mama will protect them) But I would block her off in the coop (with chick food and water) while they are hatching so none of the other chicks bug her and broody #2 stays away !!!

Back
Top Bottom