The Old Folks Home

View attachment 2028092

Thanks for making my 44 degree high seem cold, Ron. But you have to keep in mind that three days ago the low was -14. So 44 is a virtual heat wave for us.
Yes! It is a much better temperature for sure. Sadly we should be cooler with rain. We are moving back into drought so next fire season could be a bad one

AHA...I began searching for optimum heights for my hot wire to keep predators out. I do have the heights adjusted correctly, however, there is no one-size-fits all, when it comes to height. A regular sized raccoon should be stopped at a height of 8-9 inches from the ground, but an overly large one, may be able to easily get over it. Moving the wire high enough to stop the one larger raccoon, can result in it being ineffective on the normal sized ones. (Yes, I have 2 strands, one is about 3.5 inches from the ground, the other is 9 inches from the ground) So what to do?

Baiting. The instructions that came with my fencer, about baiting, were for keeping horses, and cows in, so I didn't pay much attention to it. After doing some research, it's also the best option for teaching predators to stay out. Tomorrow I will be making a few small tinfoil "cups/open pouches", and putting some cat food (small pieces of hot dog work too) in them, then wrapping the top onto the fence wire, to hold them. The bait attracts the predators, and ensures their efforts are focused where they will get jolted. That way you don't have to keep adjusting the fence height. One person said they did this for about 10 days. At first, they had to replace the bait every evening, and it would be gone by morning. By the end of 10 days, they were having to empty the bait, because nothing was touching it. I have a plan now.

Yes! It is a much better temperature for sure. Sadly we should be cooler with rain. We are moving back into drought so next fire season could be a bad one
Oh sure, like the last two were not! Everything is relative!

TX is big, for sure. A day trip is 8 hours so... Figure out what you want to deal with or not climate-wise and then look from there.
Have a great day!

Brucehaha -- Yes, no doubt there is air in the register pipes. The problem seems to be the pump is dead-dead-dead and the boiler is ancient. It's exercise in continuously heating and then discharging same hot water didn't help matters any... And hopefully the yew at the discharge spigot didn't get its roots poached. Will probably bite the bullet and put in a newer unit (basic and non-frills) and hype new boiler as a selling point.

Ron -- Cannot cook biscuits in an Instant Pot! (Unless you're into very interesting dumplings) We do have an IP at the Santa Fe place (and I have two at home!) Love those devices. Makes foolproof quinoa. And the less dinner prep time, the longer my afternoon nap! I use the Instant Pot almost daily.

re: Texas
Yep, it's getting flooded with Californians. Apple put in a campus in Austin, so now the corridor between San Antonio and Austin (and areas surrounding Austin) are getting infilled with housing tracts and gated communities. Dallas has expanded into near Los Angeles size.

The lack of State income tax is quite attractive, but the property taxes are about 3X higher for the same price of real estate as I'm paying now. Doing research, it appears they need vast improvement in healthcare (which, as oldsters, is a big concern.) Plus crime is higher than in most other states.

Any move will have to be predicated on what is discovered on field trips out yonder. I'm kind of happy staying where I am for the moment, though. Our quiet village has a real sense of community and I've got friends here, plus I love growing my food. It's a safe and comfortable place, provided you don't express a political opinion.

Back
Top Bottom