The Old Folks Home

I thought so. But some hatcheries are selling ones with brown bleeding through. And they think they are suppose to look that way.
There was a good breeder on here that had beautiful birds. I wanted to show her.
I used to have some nice ones. Tell her to google pictures of them.

chicka, there should be NO brown. They should be black, with a green sheen.. No purple sheen either. Aprox. 1 inch of white is allowed on 1 feather. That's it.

Chet Hupp from Az, used to breed them, but I haven't seen him on here in a very long time. There are a couple people that have some from his Blue project on the SOP thread that look good. Kurt, @ Rattlesnake Ridge is on once in awhile, and has some very nice ones too. Health issues prevent him from being as involved as he once was. Matt Ulrich from Alabama is still actively breeding. Remember that trip to Alabama I took a couple months ago for chicks? Well, Matt is who I went to get chicks from.

Last edited:
Ron who was the top breeder of Black Astralorps on BYC?
A lady on a fb poultry page is asking about her bird. Someone is telling her that if it does not have brown bleeding into the black on the neck that it's not an astralorp. I don't know if that is true. Mine did not have any brown on them that I recall.
Hupp farms has nice ones.

Brown is not supposed to bleed out and is a fault. The person is likely confused between black sexlinks and Black Australorps

I thought so. But some hatcheries are selling ones with brown bleeding through. And they think they are suppose to look that way.
There was a good breeder on here that had beautiful birds. I wanted to show her.
Those are likely black sexlinks

I think this is a hupp hen
American SOP Australorp pullet.jpg

Australorp color of male and female.jpg

Australorp shape of male.jpg

@getaclue posted the plumage information

Back
Top Bottom