The Old Folks Home

New Mexico has a very interesting way to parcel out Covid vaccine. You're divided up into tiers according to occupation, age and infirmities. Then when vaccine comes in it's a first come/first served to those that answer the email blasts. Local news revealed they send out 5x more invitations than vaccine available in order to fill all the slots. (And yet, strangely, only 90% of our vaccine is being distributed.) I received an email, logged in, and found out that my answering in 4 minutes was not fast enough and the event was full. This happened multiple times except for the time I could have a slot if I was at the location in 13 minutes...I lived half an hour away, needed to still fill out an on-line med questionnaire AND get out of my pajamas. There has to be a better way, e.g., giving a designated time/place to be there vs. this scrambling lottery. I mean, there's under 3 million in the whole state so logistics cannot be that hard. (The whole procedure affronts my very organized mindset.)

At long last on Thursday after much gyrations with NM's Covid scheduling protocol, Yours Truly secured a vaccination. Could it be in this village and at the drive-thru site two blocks down the street? Noooo. At the far outreaches of the county way past the neighboring town. It was a trek to a lone Walgreen's in the middle of nowhere. Seriously, it felt like venturing to the cantina in "From Dusk 'til Dawn" as there was not a thing around but sand and scrub, and some very weird denizens inside....like the middle-aged guy wandering the aisles in his zombie pj's and the old folks propped up against the wall such that you did a double-take to make sure they were still breathing. Anyway, got the shot and -- due to lack of seating -- was told to wander the store for 15 minutes with the caveat "If you feel faint, just sit down and start yelling." Thankfully, had no problems and found some great laundry detergent clearance bargains (name brand @ $1 for 25 wash size), so not a wasted excursion.

Went home and felt a little fatigued, so ended up with a 3-hour nap and then an early bedtime after dinner. Awoke the yesterday feeling better than I have in ages. Wow! Full of pep and energy and got a lot accomplished during daylight hours. Today, not so much. Maybe a delayed reaction? I dunno...

Of the 52 eggs set, only 3 made it to lockdown. Hope to see chicks Tuesday (2 Marans, 1 mixed.) None of the Trader Joe's fertile eggs were viable. I've got two other waves of eggs in the incubator, but I'm sort of feeling my roo's fertility is waning. That or he's not covering everybody in the coop.

Things are getting Spring-y on the farm, so very busy with pruning and planting as much as my knees allow. Today is putting in beets, radishes and peas. DH is going to retire at the end of April, so it'll be nice to have some extra help.

The whole procedure affronts my very organized mindset.
Sounds like a serious cluster ****.

At least they have a plan here and it doesn't involve a Black Friday free for all.

They have a website where you see appointments and choose one. There is also a phone number but I suspect that would be pretty swamped. Apparently you can also hit up a couple of pharmacy chains.

They started with all medical "front facing" people and everyone in care facilities.

Then 75 and over followed by 70 and over, they are currently on 65 and over. I will hit that on Wednesday. Sadly (for me) they decided to start all people who work in a school environment (including bus drivers and janitors), all people working in an approved child care facility and all people 55 and over with "conditions" this Monday. So instead of being on the tail end off the 65 and over group I'll be "wrestling" with 40K other people. That still puts me in front of the people 16 and older with "conditions" ... assuming I can find an appointment before 8:30 AM the following Monday.

Perchie's passing makes me realize the importance of living each day to it's fullest. You just never know. I remember watching some tv program. May have been Dead Like Me and the narrator said that we are all stamped with an expiration date and none of know when that date is.

I'm in no big hurry to get my Covid vaccine. In 17 days I see my Rheumy's PA and plan to have a talk with her about whether or not it is safe for me to take it. DH is wondering the same thing about himself. In all truthfulness we have both had adverse reactions to vaccines before so we are both a little on the chicken side of leary.

Back
Top Bottom