The Old Folks Home

Morning, sourland.. and OF... um.. sourland, have you been up to your 'tricks' again? Of all hens, I would have never suspected my BCM of going broody.. but there she is on the nest.. Really made Margaret mad when she wouldn't leave so Margaret could lay an egg, so just as I looked in, Margaret plopped one down on Mara's beak. That'll learn her.

And hopefully she accepts it!! Can you maybe put some sort of barrier in the front of the box if not? To keep them from falling?
Presumably though we did try to give Anais the chicks in there last time and she attacked them even though it was 0 dark thirty. But she LOVES taking care of littles, she's helped raise every chick that came after her flock of 12 in 2012. IF she goes broody in a couple of weeks (she has started laying which in the past has ALWAYS been a precursor to going broody) I'll give her another shot. She's never gotten to be Mom, just Auntie.

I waited until it was quite dark last night and moved Nuit back to the roost. She came out of the barn with the others again this morning but based on her "talking" I bet she headed for the nest box soon after.

Got the second shot this afternoon, much better didn't even feel it. Didn't have a maybe panic attack like last time. Feel like it never happened. DW said first shot DD#2 had was a little needle second shot she had was big when I had my first. Must be they run out and use whatever available. No joke I didn't even feel this one.

I know we have at work run out of pipette tips for testing milk. They use them in medical field prob many for making this vaccine
Use something like 1000ul for testing the milk at work for antibiotics and something like 200ul for the plate testing bacteria. The ones we have to use now are not the same as the usual we get. The bigger ones are twice as long and have a filter that we don't need. Still work the same cause pipetor is calibrated to draw up same volume sample just pain in butt using twice as long tip.
Packaging materials for our products are also hit and miss been some weeks had to cut production because can't get the packaging cups. Heard from truck drivers Chobani yogurt plant near us has ran into same prob.

On a good note, something I haven't done in yrs, prob eight or so yrs, some home fermentation. All the talk of dandelions earlier, I've never made dandelion wine but every yr want to. Made too many to count batches of beer and hard cider, couple wines never done dandelion. Have a five gallon batch started of dandelion wine :ya
I took it to the max, a few recipes I read said only use the petals, only the yellow flower petals and no green. Your making a mistake if you just use the whole flower head. It was some work and took a long time
Few hrs into it DW asked "kinda like shucking peas huh?"
Yeah kinda thinking the same thing, I love fresh peas but always wonder if the work is worth it, but I know I love fresh peas, I'm not sure how this is going to turn out....

Back
Top Bottom