The Old Folks Home

1 year? They aren't using high end batteries, sounds more like the old time 12V lead acid batteries linked together. But even then I wouldn't expect them to need replacement annually. Batteries should never be run down to 0, in fact I think 30% is the recommended "floor". Also need to not overcharge them. They may not have proper controllers to manage the batteries.

If they have to run the generator often, they don't have enough battery capacity and maybe not enough generation capacity for extended cloudy periods.

I'm all for DIY but the "Y" better know what they are doing. Which, with solar, I do not thus I paid the companies that do know.
I think it's probably a little of several causes. I don't know much about it other than observing what they had at the time they put it in.

I do know they purchased the system from Missouri Wind and Solar Company and have heard from others that their owners don't use their own product. Oops.

We have seen the batteries and they are huge deep cell, the original batteries were that is and the controllers were all top notch. Tried to tell them to use solar as a supplemental source of power along with hooking into the grid but you can't put an old head on young shoulders. As it is their system doesn't produce enough power to run AC in the summer and they heat their water with their wood stove.

I think people are under the misconception that the batteries are going to last forever. They don't

As the saying goes, not our monkey, not our circus. While we would like to have some sort of Solar back up, we don't regret hooking into the grid for a moment. The dermatologist that DH uses has a 99 panel solar array hooked up back to their office. No battery back up. They sell excess power to the power company. If they have to buy power it's 15 cents per kilowatt. If they (the power company) buys from them, it's something like 2 cents per kilowatt hour.

Kind of a one sided affair in favor of the power company.

Great tax credit though. Somebody is putting in a huge solar array near the Kirksville Airport. 2300 acres we hear. They have been putting up substations and wiring to accommodate it. This area isn't Phoenix AZ when it comes to sunny days, especially in the winter where it can go weeks without seeing the sun. Plus it's some of the best farmland in Adair county.

Should be quite the circus. Like I said...glad it isn't mine.

Somebody is putting in a huge solar array near the Kirksville Airport. 2300 acres we hear.
There are a lot of yard signs near me saying, "No Industrial Solar." I haven't seen any yard signs for it.

We've thought about solar. In the winter, it can be pretty dreary, so we would have to have something else, or stay on the grid.

There are a lot of yard signs near me saying, "No Industrial Solar." I haven't seen any yard signs for it.

We've thought about solar. In the winter, it can be pretty dreary, so we would have to have something else, or stay on the grid.
Same here, Sally.

What we see when we take the back way into Kirksville is they built this huge substation right behind homes. I would be so P.Oed if I was one of those home owners and suddenly had the lighting and noise right up against my own back yard.

From what I've read, people voted down the project. Did it mean anything? Nope.

I'm so glad that we live where we live, out in the middle of nowhere.

Same here, Sally.

What we see when we take the back way into Kirksville is they built this huge substation right behind homes. I would be so P.Oed if I was one of those home owners and suddenly had the lighting and noise right up against my own back yard.

From what I've read, people voted down the project. Did it mean anything? Nope.

I'm so glad that we live where we live, out in the middle of nowhere.
We are pretty remote, but they are putting in huge solar panel installations. Buying up cheap farmland i guess.

Back
Top Bottom