The Old Folks Home

I have a broody Mallard. Since I don't have a Drake yet and she is the first broody I have decided to let her set chicken eggs. Now explaining that to my 8 year old granddaughter who is my chicken partner was another story. She said is she pregnant? I said no she will set on some eggs and hatch them. The little ones come from the eggs. She said like we eat and I said yes. She said is she going to have some baby ducks? I said no she will hatch some baby chickens. She said how? I said that we will put some hen eggs under her and she will set on them and keep them warm until they hatch. She said why don't we put some duck eggs under her? I said the duck eggs won't hatch. She said why? I said because we don't have any boy ducks. She said will the chicken eggs hatch. I said yes we have roosters. She said do the roosters hatch them? I said no they make the eggs so they will hatch. She said OHH? I think I left a puzzled little girl. But she is excited about her duck having baby chicks.
lau.gif
I would love to be a fly on the wall so I could listen in when she explains this to her friends.

lau.gif
I would love to be a fly on the wall so I could listen in when she explains this to her friends.

Yes, and I know she has. I want to hatch some with a hen/duck so she can see the process. She has been asking me about the chickens having babies. The egg hatching concept is really strange to her. She has a new nephew so she has seen some of that process. She had a hard time figuring out that she was an Aunt. We have raised butterflies the last 2 summers. She was really amazed at that.

It's funny how you can think they understand something, and then find out that they really don't. My son was 4 1/2 when his sister was born. We had planned that my parents would come and look after him during the birth, but it didn't work out that way. DD was in a bit of a hurry to enter the world, and at an uncomfortably early hour. Consequently, DS was in his father's arms in the delivery room when his sister was born. Immediately after the doctor said, "It's a girl," my son said in a shocked voice, "That's a baby people!" Everybody else knew what I was carrying when I was "expecting," but evidently, he'd been expecting a rabbit . . . .
bun.gif

Last edited:
It's funny how you can think they understand something, and then find out that they really don't. My son was 4 1/2 when his sister was born. We had planned that my parents would come and look after him during the birth, but it didn't work out that way. DD was in a bit of a hurry to enter the world, and at an uncomfortably early hour. Consequently, DS was in his father's arms in the delivery room when his sister was born. Immediately after the doctor said, "It's a girl," my son said in a shocked voice, "That's a baby people!" Everybody else knew what I was carrying when I was "expecting," but evidently, he'd been expecting a rabbit . . . .
bun.gif

You never know what they are thinking.

bunnylady that is such an adorable story!

I love when our kids say things that stick in our heads. When my son Bill was about 10, he said, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to live on a hill - that way, I can be a hill-Billy!"

Lol! I love the kids stories! My nephew had to have some ointment put into his eye and my mom explained that his eye would be a little blurry for awhile and just keep blinking. He said, blurry like pixels? Mom said, what? He replies, you know, Mimi, like the little squares? LOL!

Back
Top Bottom