The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

No but it was a miserable hatch all round.

With the transition of staff, the dehumidifire was off for more than 10 days. The eggs that did hatch, did so on the 21-23rd day including my local control eggs.

My gut tells me that we had the door open on the incubator overnight mid session.

We ended up with 30% hatch on both imports and local.

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I've considered something like this. I've also considered "Adopt-a-Chicken." I've heard that some enterprising farmers do that sort of thing with cows or goats. Basically, for a set price, you get a gallon of milk from your adopted animal at set intervals, you get a picture and the background of the animal, and other relevant information, but the animal stays at the farm and you can come visit it on occassion. I'm imagining pictures and bio's on chickens, eggs as laid, updates every so often; done right, it could be educational, fun and funny (and food!) at the same time.[​IMG]

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

5. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Trees.

Weird late winter/early spring. Dandelions are just starting here as the daffodils are starting to fade. Redbuds in full bloom but not a single white clover flower. Normally by late April, the field next to me would be all white.

7. pickitfarm

pickitfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    South Carolina
    There is a company offering this service around DC/MD/VA area.

http://www.rentacoop.com/

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

We take the bad with the good.

We got several good hatches on the batch

Next hatch will be better

9. LFchixranch

LFchixranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    DSQ and SCG, I was trying to catch up and noticed your hiking plans, there's a great app at www.topomapsapp.com. you can download any map you need, I have it on an ipod touch. If your camping, These are really nice for charging a phone or even power a LED camp light, http://www.biolitestove.com/.. Happy trails

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A friend emailed me about the Rental chickens thing on tv but, I woke up too late to notice. It does sound like a neat concept BUT, I would worry sick about how the renters care for and protect the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by