The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Just a quick note to say Oz and Mrs. Oz made it from Los Angeles to Fairplay and the Pub for dinner and we had a great evening in conversation. The local owner of The Pub (and next door neighbor to my Thistle Dew Ranch) came to listen to the musicians and singers for Open Mic; he spent some time visiting with us, traded some ribald jokes with the Ozes and made some marginally inappropriate comments about my bosoms. (It's okay - I can and have made remarks in kind about some of his features.). :gig

Mrs. Oz (waving to her, as she is a lurker) is a hoot! Stuff doesn't get past her at all.

All in all, an enjoyable evening! Wish y'all could have joined us.

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    LOL I'm glad you all had a good time!

Wish I could have heard the features remarks hehe

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Allergic to bees, but I can eat honey. Being able to had your own bees must be awesome! So jealous

4. LFchixranch

LFchixranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    No once you download the map you want its yours till you delete it.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Thank you LFchixranch. I might check that out. I have the 24000:1 maps and a lensatic compass and I actually know how to use them (thank you land-nav tests in the military). I have promised SCG that I will be the responsible one with the map (although she has passed a hunter's land-nav test) but we will blame her if we get lost. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Linda so glad you had some fun with the Oz's ([​IMG] Mrs. Oz) but you know the rule - no pictures, it didn't happen! [​IMG]
    Wound up with seven poults and only one chick from my hatch. Wish I knew why I get such terrible hatch rates but I really don't incubate enough to worry about it especially since I am not spending money on expensive shipped eggs anymore. I just can't justify the expense with my terrible rate. Oh well, I have plenty of turkeys now and I didn't really need another chicken. I am hoping it is a hen because it is a beautiful lavender Ameraucana chick. [​IMG]

6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    You need a broody

7. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Go ahead and blame me! Isn't that why you are bringing me?

7 poults is a reasonable number. BF is going to be shocked to discover poults under broodies (that's multiple) in his coop check most likely the day after I get to Utah.

1 person likes this.
  8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Uh oh. Ummmm... guess the Oz visit to The Pub just didn't happen. I don't think we even thought about pulling out our cell phones to commemorate the event. :( Too busy talking!

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's pretty amazing that people from all over the planet meet about chickens and have cocktails at a pub together.

I imagine it was the same way back when ancient traders brought fowl from SE Asia to the Indus Valley, Mesopotamia, the Mediterranean and beyond. Or when Polynesians brought chickens to South America. Just people sittin' around having a cocktail and talking chickens.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm allergic to stings too but I still have bees. A good bee suit and caution do wonders. I've gotten to the point that I'll even open the hive for a peek without any protection.

Much to my dismay, swarms, package bees and bees afield won't sting unless trapped. (i.e. stepped on when on a flower or caught inside a shirt) Bees always try to save their sting for protection of brood and stores in the hive. When the hive is threatened they will travel some distance to chase the perpetrator though.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by