The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    SCG, Guinea still there? They are well known as tick eaters and snake killers too. Yes a flock would be more effective, but if you can stand the noise, 1 is okay. I tried them twice. Couldn't make them stay home. They fly VERY well for their awkward-looking shape.
  2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Walther P22 (handgun not long gun). It took down a fox with one shot. It is incredibly accurate, has almost zero kick and is fun. Holds 10 shots. I wouldn't say it's silent but BF has slept through my as-the-sun-comes-up executions.

I prefer the Walther over a shotgun (and even a 22 shotgun). I don't like "spread" in my ammunition. I like knowing exactly where I'm shooting and what the intended target will be. In my area, we have few shots that won't be "near" a neighbors yard and many of those are close to the animal enclosures. For that reason I like slugs.

We actually keep the Walther on the kitchen counter and it's the preferred gun for both BF and myself for critters. Considering how many guns we actually own, that's amazing.

I don't know how many "safe" shots you have...

If it were me I'd put out my game cam so I can see if there's any pattern to when/where these jerks are coming from. If so, then ambush them. In the meantime, shore up security best you can.

PS Just got home from work, I'd say the guinea is gone. Glad it came, disseminated its diseases then left.
  3. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Absolutely beautiful! Would love to wake up to that view!

I am so sorry for your loss. Raccoon are too smart and use there little hands a little too well. Hope you catch them soon.
  4. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    .22 ammo is almost extinct here in alabama. When u can find it, its pricey. Almost $1.00 a shot. I hear people are hoarding it in fear of changing gun laws. I would be more worried where the .22 goes than the 12guage. Just my2 cents...
  5. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Order it online, Dude, The price is coming down, slowly but surely.

SCG, just a small warning - if you ever do try to catch that guinea, they don't feel, act, or submit like a chicken. You can barely hold them around the wings, they scratch with their claws to get away and they scream bloody murder (ear splitting.) Also, you can't grab them by the leg like you can chickens, either. Their legs are fragile and will break or tear if held that way. If the guinea is making a "buck wheat" sound, it is a hen. If it makes a "Kak kak kak kak kak kak" it is likely a boy (although girls can make that sound, too, they usually don't.) I'd say keep it if it's a girl and pass if it's a boy. The boys are rough on the hens and on any cock that tries to intervene on her behalf. They will grab a chicken by the neck feathers and slam it on the ground, hard. It wasn't too bad at my house with a large mixed flock as long as there were enough girls for all the boys, but when the boys outnumbered the girls, it was rough in the spring.......I finally got rid of all of mine, although I do still miss them sometimes.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    We have more problem getting centerfire than rimshot in this neck of the woods. As such, we've been trying to find someone to teach us to reload (safely).

Is it bad that I'm sad my guinea is gone (now that it has already gone and spread its diseases, it might as well of stayed...)?
  7. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

It knows where you will be back.
  8. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens

Do you use nails or screws to fasten the boards? In a stress area I will even use a fender washer and #10 screw.
    Good luck in stopping this!

Scott [​IMG]
  9. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens

THIS is your front window?[​IMG] I think that i might get just a bit jealous. [​IMG] [​IMG]
  10. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Flock Master

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Cynthia that is a beautiful view to look at every day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by