The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    CC I am so sorry! How horrible.
    Just a thought, what about putting some hardware cloth on the buildings as far as the coons can reach so they can't get back in the buildings?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    All openings have well secured hardware cloth. I didn't expect to (nor have I ever had to ) cover wooden walls with hardware cloth.

3. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There's a plus side to ordinances. A 100 sq. ft. maximum before needing a permit has forced me to build many smaller breeder houses. It works well for broody apartments and quarantine areas as well. In this case, it saved a couple of my flocks. If they were all in one building it would have been even more devastating.

4. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    sorry to hear about ur losses. Have u thought about electric fencing around the perimeter?

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've thought about it but there isn't really a perimeter. I went out to close up one evening and there were 3 raccoons coming down the trees onto the roof of a coop. Almost the entire property has a tree canopy and virtually every coop is accessible from that canopy.
    I really appreciate suggestions but this is my fault which is why I don't want sympathy. One gets complacent when they don't lose animals for a year or more. It doesn't mean predators aren't there. It's just hard to accept that I lose so many mature birds in 2 nights.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    OK. This is going to seem quite macabre to most of you. If you have a weak stomach, don't read further.

I'm cutting out mature fertile eggs from the carcasses and grilling the remains to kill the maggots/bacteria and feed the meat back to the chickens.

I'm not one to waste anything.

7. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    May i sugges the H&R 12 guage single shot pardner shotgun. I got mine for $200 at gander mountain. 25 rounds of 2 3/4" game load shells cost $6. Also a good spotlight. It kicks like a mule but will dissolve a raccoon. I put the slip on limbsaver recoil pad on mine and it helps.

8. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    SCG mentioned some type of 22 that was silent and was for killing rats. I wonder if it would work for coons?

9. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    A .22 lr or a .22magnum can take down deer with a perfect shot. The problem with .22 currently is finding ammo. U can pay $200 for a .22 and go on the waiting list for ammo, or get a 12 guage for the same price. 12 guage ammo is cheap and plentiful. And with a shotgun u never need a perfect shot unless using a slug.

10. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Pretty sure CC lives in town, so I imagine a shotgun would not be an option. I may be wrong, often am :)

I had no idea raccoons could pry off siding, I find that terrifying.I'd want to wrap the entire structure in hardware cloth and electrify it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by