The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I was able to convince him to find other sleeping arrangements.

[​IMG]

The bad news: when he got up from the roost he was on he left behind a ton of mites.

2. heartsizedfarm

heartsizedfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Lucretius says "The path of righteousness is to do the task at hand."

Which I take to mean, you can't save everything in the world, but it is your obligation to save and care for those individuals that just walk across your path.

Congrats! You have just saved a guinea fowl! Post pics! Give her a name! Keep us up to date! And, seriously, don't let anyone wreck it for you, ENJOY!

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    SCG eeeew on the creepy crawlies. [​IMG] Can you keep it out of the coop?

4. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Not during the day (it knows how to use the pop door!) but I certainly can at night.

I am certain it has given my birds mites. There were so many on the table when it got up.

[​IMG]

5. getaclue

getaclue Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    A handled fish net should catch it. Treat the whole flock, and the coop for creepies. Guineas are pretty good at sounding the alarm, and warding off hawks, and the like. They really are a pretty good bird to have around. This would be a good time to worm everyone too.

6. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Ive heard guinea pigs are delicious.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    LOL - they are actually raised for human consumption in some South American countries - they require very little space and are prolific breeders.

8. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Prolific breeders? The gestation period of a guinea is something like two months, and the usual litter size is from one to four. Mine usually had just two.

9. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I know nothing about the flying kind of guineas and had no idea they could fly that high. Appears it is trying to find a new home, along with its mites.

10. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    It was probably 40 feet up there... that's a long handle.

I was not able to get it last night. It was still out there at 3 when I opened up the coops.

Tonight I have class, maybe BF will catch it while I'm gone. If we do catch it I have a home for it to go to. A friend of mine has been wanting guineas (unbeknownst to me) and the lady she was buying from is charging her 30$ a guinea. From what I read last night guineas are prolific eaters of bugs, including japanese beetles. After reading that, the freakshow grew on me, just a little. Or maybe that was the mites I was feeling. However, I'm pretty sure you need an entire flock of guineas for the bug slaying to be true.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by