The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. getaclue

getaclue Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Happy Father's Day to all the dads!

2. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Your right Scott about the netting, but I really didn't mind the birds. I figured they were hungry and I got what I needed.

3. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    crele penedesenca and some olive eggers plus 2 black penedesenca

4. tnspursfan09

tnspursfan09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Limestone, TN
    The chicks from my Easter HAL are finally big enough to let out with the rest of the flock...YAY! [​IMG] They got a few pecks at first, but nothing serious. Tink (one of my almost 5 month old barred rocks does like to chase any chick that wanders off alone, but as soon as it joins the others she backs off. Bully.
    We've been cleaning, airing out and repairing the old pop-up...getting it ready for some summer camping. Yesterday DH was testing the air conditioner and as I was weeding the veggie garden on that side of the yard I could "pop" into the pop-up when I got too hot...ahhhhh.
    The mulberry tree is producing like crazy! The big girls make it their first stop when I let them out in the morning...breakfast!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dobby nearly ripped his comb off last week trying to fight a possum that was trying to get into the run. He got his head stuck in the wire and had to be rescued. Thank goodness it was a cool night and I had the bedroom window open or I never would have heard him.
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah...and the Spurs won the NBA championship! [​IMG]

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Just Catching up, Enjoy you rains. I am enjoying our tropical thunderstorms that dump an inch of rain in an hour. The Monsoon is not here fully yet but the wet season is greening up the place.

I spent more than 8 hours in hardware stores today restocking my inventory. I hate not having the right 25 cent gadget that requires a 6 hour round trip in the car and a delay of 5 days is something that puts me in the loony bin. I had a 5 page excel spreadsheet list with me. Everything from elbows to screws, rivets, paint, switches and epoxy.

We also bought a replacement window AC. The heat exchange fins had competely corroded away.

Stacked in the back of the car is also a old fashion 3 piston pump pressure washer with twin v belts and a 1.5HP motor brand new for $130.

We were too exhausted to do the trip home so we are in Bacolod for the night and will head out in a few hours just before daylight.

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I had a lovely day.

I get home from work about 3 hours ago. I go to use the potty and as I'm about to de-trou all heck breaks loose in the yard. It sounds like my entire flock is being slaughtered. I get everything back up and buttoned, run out to the front door, BF has run down the stairs and grabbed the gun, and we head outside.

Yet nothing really seems amiss. We stand there for a few minutes, observing.

And then...

[​IMG]

...Wait a second... I own some ugly birds but don't own anything that looks like that. [​IMG]

I observe it for a few minutes, and it seems really at home in my flock.

Regardless, this is not my bird. I open the run gates and unleash the flock. The guinea stays in the run. [​IMG]

I chase the guinea out of the run, and it goes about 10 feet and then turns around and heads back to the coop.

I decide to leave it be, figure it will just wander off when it's ready. After a few minutes I see it head down the driveway. Good riddance. Ten minutes later I see it coming back up the driveway. And goes back into the coop. [​IMG]

I chase it out of the coop. It goes and roosts on the gate.

THIS (UGLY AND LIKELY BUG INFESTED) BIRD WILL NOT LEAVE.
    [​IMG]
    I am sure it has already given my flock a plethora of creepy crawlies.

And three hours later...
    IT IS STILL HERE.

I keep giving it the stink-eye and trying to chase it off.

The best part of all this is that I called my father to give him a report of the situation, and a few minutes after getting off the phone with him I get this text: "Kennebec Valley Humane Society runs a guinea pig rescue shelter. They are based in Augusta. You should call them."

I got to call my father back and explain:

This [​IMG] NOT this [​IMG]

Lastly I would like to say that I have heard how notoriously difficult guineas are to get to sleep in a chicken coop. I just can't relate to that. It's about 45 minutes before official "biddy bed time" and he is in there roosting with the rest of the flock.

I give up. I now own a guinea hen and an entire flock that requires delousing.

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG] I think it is hilarious that your father thought you meant a guinea pig. [​IMG] Congratulations on the new addition. Can you catch him and check him for creepy crawlies?

8. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
  9. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I've purchased some Frontline Spray which the friendly UPS guy will deliver on Thursday.

[​IMG] We'll see if this thing sticks around for a few more days.

10. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

X2!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by