The Old Folks Home

I felt that I should revisit this subject. It is normal at this point in the laying cycle for some hens to take a break. They should pick back up again soon. If not, Parasites can lower egg production.

Just something to check. I changed out the mite strips last week and added some more. It is nearly time to think about worming the chickens too.
I just thought it was a little early to be slowing down. But I did worm mine last month and dusted the coops and a couple birds. Thanks for the suggestions.
I did not know there were mite strips? I will have to find some and put some in my coop. Thanks
smile.png

CC when I first finished my coop I had a couple nights that the dogs raised cain. So we added a motion sensor light. Most night critters do not like light and when the light came on the critters ran off! Just a thought that lights may be cheaper than alarms.

I really appreciate the information and advice but it would be very difficult to safeguard my birds with line of sight or infrared sensors. If you saw my setup, you'd understand.
The coons have been proven to be able to get into the buildings from all sides. There are at least 6 buildings most of the time surrounded by vegetation. There aren't many line of sight paths on any side of any building with trees, berries and gardens surrounding them. Sometimes, I've seen the raccoons climb down from the trees right onto the roofs.
As an industrial electrician and automation engineer, I'm well versed in all the motion/proximity sensors yet to be invented. If I were able to put some on the perimeter of the whole property (which isn't possible) with deer, rabbits, etc. I'd be getting false alarms all night. I think I need something that works on sound.

Last edited:
CC when I first finished my coop I had a couple nights that the dogs raised cain. So we added a motion sensor light. Most night critters do not like light and when the light came on the critters ran off! Just a thought that lights may be cheaper than alarms.

Really not a bad idea but again, you'd need to see the space. I've considered it. I've had motion sensor lights surrounding my house since we've lived here and last spring raccoons broke into my basement on 2 occasions and killed 10 chicks - ignoring the lights.

Bottom line is, buildings need to be Fort Knox at night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom