Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.
I hope you get something that will work for you.
The mite strips go into the coops. One by the pop door and some hanging down from the roof so that it touches the chickens head. Each time they bump into the strip, it releases a bit of poison--low amount--that will kill lice and mites. I have been using them for a couple of years now and they keep the lice and mites at bay.
Thanks Ron, I had no idea about the mite strips. Pretty nifty.
You are Welcome!
I makes it easier to control the buggies. still have to watch for feather lice and I do need to replace the strips every 6 months. They are supposed to last up to two years but not at my place.
Ron, regarding the mite strips - if a bird touches the strips too often would she get an overdose of the chemical? What if they are ditzy enough to bite the strip? My life is composed of "what ifs,"
But better to know going in, than find out too late. Thanks.
The insecticide is Permethrin and is toxic to insects but non toxic to animals. The amount is very low too. I have been using them for two plus years in the main coop and three hutches and have had no sick chickens. They have not been eaten yet.
Maybe blue is not a color the will peck at?
permethrins are deadly to cats. Do not use them on or near your cats!
Just a side not to Rontt's post.
Sorry for the intrusion, "Old Folks" lol
You are always helpful and welcome. I do not let the cats near the chickens....That is a bad combination.