The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

is this an inside joke? Or is it BYC'S version of Dr. Oz?

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I do the shake and bake..seven dust. Works great. Head is out of the bag..doesn't get into their faces or nostrils. I like it anyway.

3. subhanalah

hi Cynthia, I prefer not to use sevin due to the danger to the bugs that I want. Bees, waterbugs?, grasshoppers?, worms? lots of stuff I would think?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  4. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Thanks for the link. I like these lights I may get some for the new pens when they are finished. Thanks

5. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Got up at 0315 (I slept in) and got everyone (mostly) sprayed, including my right eyeball. Sprayed a turken and it bounced off since there were no feathers and right into my eye. [​IMG] It took about 90 minutes to get everyone off a roost and sprayed with 4 sprays then tossed outside; and it took the entire bottle of Frontline Spray (I have about 60 birds) for those of you wondering how much you need.

The entire flock was wound up from this, including the mom turkey. She stepped on her babies a few times and was fighting with everyone in the flock, so unfortunately I removed her babies (she didn't notice) to a brooder in the basement. I do not want to be raising poults (or chicks). No one appeared to have visible mites or lice, which was good, but I do know they're there on account of the dead poult with some mites on it.

I gotta clean out the coop today, too. [​IMG]

DOWN WITH WILD GUINEAS!

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

One of the nice things about living so far from people with the financial means to buy chemicals is that they work. I have yet to encounter any resistance to anything I have used. I am still alternating treatments though.

As far as shake n bake sevin goes, I think the good bugs are at more risk from the chickens beak than the sevin on the chicken's feathers. Using it that way is pretty good at containing the dust.

7. subhanalah

Is it really good for them to eat the sevin poisoned bugs? I don't think I want to eat them. I wonder if it has any effects on their reproductive organs the way DDT did?
    Not like anyone would notice...chickens just "have those problems" right?

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I've got the poults tentatively sold, awaiting pick up from a friend of mine who works night shift. Stinks, but now's not the time for me to be raising poults.

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I meant that the ladybugs and such are more likely to be eaten by the chicken long before they decide to snuggle in a chickens feathers coated with sevin.

As far as chickens consuming sevin, that's going to happen just like they will ingest a small amount of any topical medication you give then.

10. subhanalah

that's very true. And just because it kills the mites and the chickens "seem" fine, doesn't necessarily mean it's safe.

Well...I hope it's safe in the long run...that's really all you can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by