The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Yup. The no mites welcome signs are just not quite as effective.

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I am playing single father (with the help of two nannies and a cook) lol.

Mrs Oz is in Borneo for the weekend with ten friends from school. She is going to visit an orangutan sanctuary.

There was a promo fare from Manila to Kota Kinabaloo for $80 round trip so nine of them decided to go and visit a classmate there. 9 fifty year old women staying in a suite. You can imagine how little sleep and how much "chiss miss" will be discussed.

3. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Peter Brown is the Chicken Doctor.

http://www.askthechickendoctor.com/

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    ron! Why am I just now knowing about this doc? Thank you for the link. Man, I'm so behind the times..well, some of them. Some I'm doing ok with. [​IMG]

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Andy Schneider has a daily chicken talk show. He also goes around the Country helping with getting Chicken Ordinances changed. Peter Brown, like was mentioned, is a frequent guest on the show.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/backyardpoultry

I have listened to his show a couple of times but they are fairly long. Great information though.

7. getaclue

getaclue Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    ron, I will be checking out the chicken whisperer show, and the chicken doctor website. Good info!

On another note, I have hardwood floors throughout most of my house. The hallway, and bedrooms are carpeted. The kitchen and bathrooms are tile. My vacuum cleaner does a good job with the carpets, and deep cleaning, of the hardwood floors, but the hardwood floors need daily, or every other day touch ups especially inside the back door when DH has gone in and out to the garden a few times, and inside the door leading to the garage. (yes, he wipes his feet, but this is Florida). The kitchen is another area that needs frequent touch ups too. My big vacuum is too heavy and cumbersome to drag out every day just to do the high traffic areas on a regular basis, but the little dust busters, even on a stick don't have enough power, and I wanted something with a cord. Years ago I had something called an Electric Broom that would be perfect for my needs, but they don't make them anymore. I looked at the Shark Rocket, but saw a couple u-tube videos and decided against it. They really don't make much of anything that fills the gap for hardwood/tile floors. I was reading about the Hoover SH20030, and most reviewers seemed to like it, and one person said it picked up Florida sand from their hardwood floors (yes, there is a big difference between sand, and Florida sand). DH ordered one for me, but was skeptical. It got here yesterday. I took it out, and put it together. Initially it reminded me of what my daughter had told me about a styrobator. "It's an expensive price for a cheaply made piece of junk, that you have to have." Well, I did my floors last night, and I must say I really do like it. When DH came in from work this morning, he commented that the floors didn't feel gritty.

So Oz, are you building orangutan pens? You know she's going to want at least one of those cuties, right?

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I got some good photos of my bees today, and of the various stages of larva (they were building comb between two boxes so I had to remove it) for those of you interested.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the blue team (last year's hive) queen is laying eggs in the box that is meant for my honey. I'll be using a queen excluder on red team (this years bees) from here on out.

9. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I've heard writing a letter to ants and placing it where they can read it works to get rid of them ;) Mites are clearly a lower life form. Hahaha
    You know...I've been wanting to catch a young immature queen ant to keep a small ant farm...I FINALLY found one crawling through my yard yesterday (rather late in the season really) and was going to pick it up to bring her inside. Just then my red sex link sauntered over and ate it, right in front of me! She doesn't even like ants! Lol.

10. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    How do you tell ant queens from regular ants? Bee queens only leave the nest once to mate. And I have never been able to locate my queen in any of my hives (and I at least have a finite number of places to look for her). I'm content enough with noting eggs and larva, so I know she's been alive within the past 21 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by