The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Flock Master

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    FHS 80
  2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    La Plata High School Class of 1998 (Blue Devils).

What a long week. So glad it's Friday. I just have to make it to tomorrow at 0700 and then I can sleep/rest/relax.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    SCG Did you just get up for the morning? I still haven't been to bed. Had another ice cream frenzy and afraid if I lay down, It will all back up [​IMG]I keep doing the same destructive things over and over- never learn.

Hey girl, you never sent me a picture of the top you made from the chicken print. Is it halter style??
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I teach pullet and cockerel under 1 year, hen and cock (rooster) over a year. But I get lazy and interchange terms pullet and hen in that 5 month to 1 year range, especially when both are running together. I also say rooster a lot.
    Can anyone say Foghorn Leghorn? I have one of them right now that I have to find a home for or process soon. I have a Leghorn cockerel and pullet and a bantam black Wyandotte cockerel I have no use for. I have to figure out how to introduce the pullet into my flock. I lost my last white egg layer (Jaer) to blood suckers.)
    Cockerel is much harder to say. And cock doesn't work around non-chicken people.

Christian Brothers College high school, class of '70.
    Go Cadets!

I guess I'm right in the middle of the OFH pack. I feel so young!

Somebody screwed up and I got my invitation to join AARP when I turned 40. I didn't join then but I should have.

We kicked a cranky old man out of our local chicken group. 650 members and he's the only one ever to be banned.
    His property was on our annual Sustainable Living tour Saturday. I visited it. It was nice with a large vegetable garden, large orchard and bee hives.
    We had never met in person and I didn't tell him who I was.
    What was a little creepy was that he had a carton of his chickens' eggs. It had the first that each laid and the last that each laid. I knew that predators killed them 2 years ago. I hope that they were blown out but I didn't want to touch them.
    He was quite gregarious but when he's online he becomes a cranky old man. He had never written a post that was positive. From the very first he complained about what everyone was discussing.

One of our members had gotten hit by a tornado. His chicken coops were destroyed and he was housing those that survived in his damaged garage. He made mention of siding and other building damage. The old crank complained that the post wasn't entirely about chickens and then went into a tirade against everyone that posted in response.
    He said something to the effect "I came to this forum to read about chickens, not somebody's siding".

There was a predator discussion and I made reference to the difference between bird hawks (acipiters) and buzzard hawks (buteos). Apparently he had never heard the term applied to hawks and jumped on me because he was working with the improper American application of the term 'buzzard' to vultures.
    I should have saved some of his tirades but I think they were all deleted.

I got a good chuckle this morning, thanks.
    Bachelor dinner.

Yeah, like the aforementioned poison, er, uh, I mean diet pepsi.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  5. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

it sounds like this man is very lonely and the only way he gets attention (positive or negative attention is still attention) is by complaining. It's a common thread in the lives of many. We're all living such isolated lives.

Class of '01 here. Sourland, my dad was born the year before you graduated! That's way too cool!
    It's easy for me to forget that people went to school back then, my grandmother to this day is illiterate due to having to work to support her family. Mountain life, it used to be so hard but simple.
  6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I remember seeing my dad's one room school house being torn down where they were building a mall, right here in St. Louis county. But he went there almost 100 years ago.
    On the road of our farm, 100 miles south of here, there were kids attending a 1 room school house when I was young. It was weird to see kids of all ages going in to be schooled together.

Wow, you are a 'spring chicken'.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  7. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013
    Hi Bamadude. I was through Skipperville Sunday. I went down to Enterprise for my fiftieth class reunion. Are you on the main highway?
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    68 years ago I started school in a two room schoolhouse. Kindergarten through 4th or 5th in one room and 6th through 8th in the other. We were a rural sending district for SHS. Bathrooms were separate from the school and were in effect outhouses even though they were heated. When I was in third grade this school was closed down and we were all sent to a 'consolidated' township school. All of this in the wondrous state of NJ. [​IMG] This building has been converted into a residence.
  9. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013
    The school that I attended through the fifth grade had the fourth and fifth grade together.
  10. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

my great grandfather had chickens in New Jersey!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by