The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Ah, forgot about dingos. So predators. [​IMG]
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Yes, definitely not a fan of snakes but we live in the suburbs and I have never seen one near our place. The biggest threat my girls face would be an escaped neighbour's dog or a stray. Next door has a fat lazy cat and that is pretty much it. We do have hawks but again, never seen one around here.

My only true concern would be the Crows and Magpies and only where chicks are concerned; I am vigilant with aerial predators when I have babies.

Having said all that, I still do not let my girls out for a free range in the yard unless it is supervised, it only takes one stray dog or cat to break my heart!

Outside of the suburbs I believe foxes are a major concern.

Our possums, while sometimes annoying if they decide to take up residence in your roof, are pretty cute and do not attacks chickens.
  3. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Hi there, Lacey! Good to see you again!

Welcome Teila!
  4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Welcome to both of you!

Did you get to see my series on Baking a while back? We do have fun posts about things not chicken related sometimes.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  5. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I guess I could have worded myself a little bit better.
  6. ronott1

I do not know what was wrong with the post but figure there must have bee something regional or etc. that I do not know about. I edited the original Post. I hope it is better now.

7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I had said "why would anyone want to read the whole thing" I didn't mean to step on any toes with that. Your roll series was really good!
  8. ronott1

Thank you!

The Rolls were good too [​IMG] .

Up at the top of the thread is a search the thread box if someone wants to look for something specific.

You are completely correct in not reading the entire thread. Most threads like this one is like that. Another thread that is great like this one is Stellas Social club. Sometimes the food pictures make be so hungry!

And of course there are Emus and lost of chickens on that thread.
  9. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Hello, Lacey and Linda! We are happy you joined us. I realize that reading all those posts would be long (and sometimes boring) but you sure would get to know us all real quick! LOL! Oh, well, I guess it will be fun getting to know you two as you get to know us. We have lots of ..... ummmm.......interesting........and unique members. I'll let you figure out to whom I am referring.

Welcome to the fun!
  10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Oh, I forgot one critter! .... this little fella was caught my someone on the Aussie Thread. It was trying to steal chicks and the mother-hen fought it off; she lost a few feathers for her trouble but survived.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by