The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Lacy, Hi! [​IMG] Welcome to you and LindaB220!

SCG, I do remember reading your treatise on skunks now that you mention it, will go find it. I have Fels Naptha because we make our own laundry soap, so that box is checked :) I was sort of afraid the answer was going to be, no matter where they are shot, they stink. Oh well.

Lacy, a friend of mine just obtained a pair of Blue Andalusians and they have feathers on their shanks. Is this a common problem in the breed, or did the breeder probably cross something in?

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Is that a Goanna?

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Yep; I hope I never see one that big. I think, from memory, it was 6-7 foot long (around the 2 metre mark).

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Linda Hi Lacy always room for more.

GEE NO skunks in Australia - we could send them a boatload - Just say "when" Teila

5. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    How far back should I go for the cooking.
    Nevermind, I saw about the search function. I read a lot of threads and nothing can be as long as some of the fermented feeds threads. [​IMG] But I'm very interested in them so I read them all. I'll be slow but I'll start back about 200 pages.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Wow, thank you Drumstick Diva, while I do so very much appreciate your kind sentiment, I do believe I speak for most Aussies when I say that we will pass on this occasion [​IMG]

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    It's kind of funny. @ChickenCanoe sent me a link to a thread where about how to get a 90% hatch rate. The post was odd and Guy corrected it for the person.

[​IMG] I started posting answers to hatching questions people have there and I may be hi jacking the thread now!

[​IMG]

8. I think I saw that same movie and really liked it... ummm, won't they?

Nope, didn't see it so I'll have to check it out. You bake Ron? Aren't you handy and nice to have around! I love my chickens but sometimes I'd just like to talk about my day so this will be a welcome diversion.

Nope. They may have crossed in some marans or something.

Just got home a little while ago from the movies. We went to see the new Transformers. It was pretty good but once you've seen one of them, the rest are darn near identical... just a different villain. Still, it's nice to get out on occasion as having chickens keeps me pretty home-bound. I wouldn't give them up though.

9. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Welcome to the new old folks! Glad you joined us.

I have a skunk update (I know you guys could barely sleep with the anticipation of a skunk update).

I set 2 "live" traps - one in the goat run and one in the hoop coop.

I unlock everyone this morning in regular order, and the trap in the goat run is sprung but empty, and has definitely had a visit from something.

I go out to the (now unoccupied after major predator attack) hoop coop to find a skunk in the trap there. I go into Skunk Mode, get back into the house and put on my full body suit and grab my "tools." I grab an icky tarp to throw over it so I can move it. I get to the door of the hoop coop, and the little stinker raises its tail at me. I stand there, trying to gather the willpower to go in there and just do it, when all of a sudden another skunk pops up out of the hole that they had dug to gain entry into the hoop house and starts walking around the hoop house. I back away slowly.

I give it 15 minutes, and come back to find both skunks napping together.

[​IMG]

This is my life.

PS now the chicken coop, the hoop house and MY house smell awful.

10. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    SCG that is just horrible! I am so sorry. Maybe some wire on the ground around the edges of the hoop coop? I had to lay down some welded wire around my new pens from some critter attacking and digging under the gates to kill some of my chicks. Ever since I laid the wire down I have not had another incident.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by