The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Well, that's quite the morning greeting for you. YUK! [​IMG]

2. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Ron, my one Basque that I hatched is so cute. I put him/her and the coronation sussex in with the 11 SBEL;s a smaller bird when I put them outside. They fit right in and the Basque is growing so fast. They are 8 days older than the small ones but they all are like jumping beans. Cutest ever. Feathering out. All 13 of these that I hatched are so much more personable than the hatchery chicks that I got. They still run from me, but the new ones want OUT to play. I don't have a run yet.

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    The chicks from Breeder stock are so different from the beginning. They seem to be both smarter and friendlier. The Basque Hens are amazing. I am really loving my Spanish breeds--especially on the 110 degree days. Not only to they take the heat well but they keep laying eggs in the heat.

4. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

know where I can get some of those nice heat loving laying birds?!

5. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Lol. I checked the 90% hatch thread too. Looks like u old timers pistol whipped that guy and burned his thread down. Thats gangsta!

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I do not remember where you live?

Pita Pintas are very rare and mostly in California. EO Marraduna Basque are more common. The Penedesencas are a bit more stand offish but I really like them. @ChickenCanoe Has Black Penes.

I have Partridge Penes but they are hard to hatch when the eggs are shipped. I hope to have a bunch ready to go next Season. I have hatched a new breeding Quad.

@gjensen has Catalanas and @Lacy Blues has started a thread for Spanish Breeds:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/854496/poultry-breeds-of-spanish-ancestry

7. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Scg: dont let those skunks turn u into Bill Murrays character from caddyshack lol

8. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

thanks Ron!
    I really love the look of the Med breeds. Maybe next spring! My husband says I have to get rid of more before I can get more. I don't know what his problem is, birds are always leaving the premesis!

9. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Yes, going and coming all the time. I have some old girls that will go via the soup pot this fall.

They are starting to mate the younger hens. Hormones must be getting messed up with them.

10. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    If you need a "normal" (easy to find) heat loving bird that makes a nice carcass if your husband insists you get rid of birds, look into the naked neck.

Went to the "local" dairy here this morning. They have a barnyard and all kinds of animals.

Lookie what they just got:

[​IMG]

I was eye to eye with this lovely creature. [​IMG] It had some gigantic legs and feet. And poops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by