The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Ron that is one HEFTY chick. That is only a day or so old? Wow, I am assuming these are a dual breed? How quickly do they mature to eating size?

Welcome to all the newcomers! Yes this thread does wander and the best thing is you don't have to read all the posts to know what's going on.
    Yesterday I decided to head up to some more mountain lakes in Little Cottonwood Canyon (where many of the ski resorts are near here). It was a 6-7 mile hike (round trip) with about 2400' change in elevation from the trailhead to the upper lakes. I am tired today. I am really enjoying all this hiking although I find it takes me longer to recover from them than when I was a kid.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Nice pics

1 person likes this.
  3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    those are great eggs!

The Konza Rangers are very fast developing. I am looking forward to seeing how they compare to the Pita Pintas for growth. The Pita Pinta Cockerels grow almost as fast as the American Bresse.

Beautiful pictures!

We spent the night at a place called Granite Lake quite a few years ago. It is in the Coast Range Mountains of California.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Ron, beautiful picture of Granite lake! That is the same color blue as the water at these lakes. It was very clear water. Is that lake mostly from snow run off?

5. getaclue

getaclue Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    CanuckBock, I too use the type of storage totes that you are using. Here is my set up, and how I did it.

[​IMG]

I used 1" PVC, and cut it to the sizes I wanted. I made the base large enough to accommodate more than just this one size of tote. I can actually turn the tote around and put two of them under the lamp.

Use 2 T-connectors for the back, and 2 end caps on the front. This will make it level.
    BEFORE I GLUED IT TOGETHER, I slid a T-connector that was 1 size larger onto the rear pipe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then drilled some small holes through the larger PVC T-connector and the center pipe on both sides of the rear pipe. This allows me to slide the lamp to either side, for more versatility.

[​IMG]

Don't make the holes too large. Then I pushed the bolts through.

For the standing pole, cut to the desired height. On the bottom end glue on an adapter. I did NOT glue the adapter into the base.

[​IMG]

At the top, use a 45 degree elbow, and an end cap. Drill a hole and insert an eye bolt, and attach an S - hook.

[​IMG]

Now you are ready to insert the lamp pole into the base. By not gluing it into the base you can turn it to any angle you need, and when you are done, stand on both sides of the larger T-connector, and pull the lamp pole out. When you take it apart like that, it's easy to move, or store for later use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clamp the lamp to the pole. Add an S - hook to the lamp, and connect the chain to both ends. Adjust the lamp position, and chain length as needed.

Be sure to lay the base flat, and assemble it, then use PVC glue to glue the end T's, and end caps one by one. This will ensure it remains flat, and stable. Glue the elbow, end cap, and adapter to the lamp pole. Let dry overnight, then take a hose and rinse inside, and out. It's easy, lightweight, and so versatile allowing so many positions, and the two main pieces can be taken apart for easy moving, and storage. It's easy to clean, and should provide years of use.

1 person likes this.
  6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Yes, it is at 7000ft and in the Trinity Alps Wilderness area. No motorized vehicles are allowed.

The Lake and the creek have very nice fish too.

7. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine

Now you're just teasing me to get me jealous. A few months ago I went over someone's house and she had the most lovely coffee and army green eggs on her counter. I kept fondling them. She would not allow me to take any home, and I still wish I had smuggled some out in my clothes.

Lovely pictures!

8. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I forgot to mention that I crossed the OEs back to Crele penedesenca and the cross makes sex links.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He is a nicely barred Cockerel now.

9. getaclue

getaclue Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida

10. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Oh Ron, What an idea!!!!! [​IMG]