The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Tara, I just put candy-flavored laxative on my shopping list, thanks!

Guy, I'll see you losing with one out left, and raise you a team known as the Lovable Losers trading away 2 excellent pitchers in exchange for retaining the second half of their nickname. DH is a lifelong Cubs fan. Very sad and confused man today.

I'm building a flock of one-offs, quite by accident. Due to poor hatch and attrition (shipped eggs, Marek's) I have 1 Welsummer pullet, 1 White Empordanesa cockerel, and this weekend hatched 1 Augsberger (all black chicken). I keep thinking eventually I'll discover a creative use for them, I just haven't yet. The Welsummer I guess I can add to the RIR or Ameraucana flock just to have her somewhere she has lots of buddies once she starts laying, don't know yet what the Augsberger is gender-wise, but what in the world could I do with the WE? He is too rare to process or sell once he's big enough.

Also have a dreadfully cross-beaked Lavender Ameraucana cockerel which I know I will have to put down, not even enough body weight to process, but I haven't yet because he's such a friendly bird. That one, there is no use for. He's only alive because he gets a deep dish of soaked/fermented feed twice a day and fills his crop each time. The rest of the day he works at getting some dry crumble swallowed. If he would just be a jerk I'd put him down, but he flies up to me every now and then to say hello, and I just haven't been able to make myself do it.

2. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Getaclue: excellent idea. I brood in those totes as well. Ive been using a spare closet and hanging the light from the clothes hanging pole thingy.

3. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Its me: jake from state farm

4. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    What are u wearing jake from state farm?
    Khaki speedo

5. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Louisiana has almost zero ground level. I'm close to ark so maybe I might be as high as 100. Hot, humid, flat, pasture land. Little trees, as least in my yard. The coop has some lovely trees but my house doesn't get shade from them. [​IMG]

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    It has been a bad year for hatching for so many of us this year!

I hope next year will be better.

I have a cross beak Delaware that looks like a boy. He is very sweet though and lives off of crumbles.

7. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Ooooowwww love all the pics everyone! Chicks mountains, lakes WOW!

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    You should just get your own thread. Apparently you don't need us to respond!

[​IMG]

Just pulled some delicious bread out of the oven - braided italian herb with garlic and some regular sandwich bread. It helps with the skunk smell a bit (as do the candles).

9. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Yes, me too!

Glad I'm not the only one that cares for obviously/fatally flawed birds, at least for a while.

10. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by