The Old Folks Home

Tara, I just put candy-flavored laxative on my shopping list, thanks!

Guy, I'll see you losing with one out left, and raise you a team known as the Lovable Losers trading away 2 excellent pitchers in exchange for retaining the second half of their nickname. DH is a lifelong Cubs fan. Very sad and confused man today.

I'm building a flock of one-offs, quite by accident. Due to poor hatch and attrition (shipped eggs, Marek's) I have 1 Welsummer pullet, 1 White Empordanesa cockerel, and this weekend hatched 1 Augsberger (all black chicken). I keep thinking eventually I'll discover a creative use for them, I just haven't yet. The Welsummer I guess I can add to the RIR or Ameraucana flock just to have her somewhere she has lots of buddies once she starts laying, don't know yet what the Augsberger is gender-wise, but what in the world could I do with the WE? He is too rare to process or sell once he's big enough.

Also have a dreadfully cross-beaked Lavender Ameraucana cockerel which I know I will have to put down, not even enough body weight to process, but I haven't yet because he's such a friendly bird. That one, there is no use for. He's only alive because he gets a deep dish of soaked/fermented feed twice a day and fills his crop each time. The rest of the day he works at getting some dry crumble swallowed. If he would just be a jerk I'd put him down, but he flies up to me every now and then to say hello, and I just haven't been able to make myself do it.

Yes, it is at 7000ft and in the Trinity Alps Wilderness area. No motorized vehicles are allowed.

The Lake and the creek have very nice fish too.

Louisiana has almost zero ground level. I'm close to ark so maybe I might be as high as 100. Hot, humid, flat, pasture land. Little trees, as least in my yard. The coop has some lovely trees but my house doesn't get shade from them.
tongue2.gif

Tara, I just put candy-flavored laxative on my shopping list, thanks!

Guy, I'll see you losing with one out left, and raise you a team known as the Lovable Losers trading away 2 excellent pitchers in exchange for retaining the second half of their nickname. DH is a lifelong Cubs fan. Very sad and confused man today.

I'm building a flock of one-offs, quite by accident. Due to poor hatch and attrition (shipped eggs, Marek's) I have 1 Welsummer pullet, 1 White Empordanesa cockerel, and this weekend hatched 1 Augsberger (all black chicken). I keep thinking eventually I'll discover a creative use for them, I just haven't yet. The Welsummer I guess I can add to the RIR or Ameraucana flock just to have her somewhere she has lots of buddies once she starts laying, don't know yet what the Augsberger is gender-wise, but what in the world could I do with the WE? He is too rare to process or sell once he's big enough.

Also have a dreadfully cross-beaked Lavender Ameraucana cockerel which I know I will have to put down, not even enough body weight to process, but I haven't yet because he's such a friendly bird. That one, there is no use for. He's only alive because he gets a deep dish of soaked/fermented feed twice a day and fills his crop each time. The rest of the day he works at getting some dry crumble swallowed. If he would just be a jerk I'd put him down, but he flies up to me every now and then to say hello, and I just haven't been able to make myself do it.
It has been a bad year for hatching for so many of us this year!

I hope next year will be better.

I have a cross beak Delaware that looks like a boy. He is very sweet though and lives off of crumbles.

It has been a bad year for hatching for so many of us this year!

I hope next year will be better.

I have a cross beak Delaware that looks like a boy. He is very sweet though and lives off of crumbles.

Yes, me too!

Glad I'm not the only one that cares for obviously/fatally flawed birds, at least for a while.

Back
Top Bottom