The Old Folks Home

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this cockerel's legs he is the buff in the middle? When he stand and walks it looks like he is knock kneed? His legs spread out sideways to eat so he does not have to bend his head down.
I'd say he's got some really weak tendons. I've never seen one that bad. Perhaps you can get some calcium rich foods into him and make sure he's the one getting them. How old is he? Has he always been like that? When my cockerels reach 3-4 months of age, if I feed them regular chick starter, they develop hock problems where they start walking funny. "Funny" in this instance is with really stiff toes, always having their toes fully spread out and also lifting their feet higher than necessary to take a step. Changing them over to lay pellets at that time fixed it but since I started using Flock Raiser (higher calcium) for my chicks I haven't seen this issue.

They are Partridge Penedesenca, Pita Pinta, my OEs made from Cream Legbar and Crele Penedesenca. The Blue eggs are Arakansas Blues- Aracauna x Leghorn.

I am making OEs by crossing the Arkansas Blues x Crele Penes.

The egg colors are amazing!
I didn't even know Pita Pinta were in the US.

Guy, I'll see you losing with one out left, and raise you a team known as the Lovable Losers trading away 2 excellent pitchers in exchange for retaining the second half of their nickname. DH is a lifelong Cubs fan. Very sad and confused man today.
A well known conservative Chicago journalist, George Will, said he never drinks when he goes to Wrigley. He said, if you go to the game inebriated you leave sober.

He also said, "the whole idea of a suffering cubs fan would be lost if they ever won the world series."

When the Cardinals built a new stadium in 2006, there was a good joke.

"What do the Cardinals and the Cubs have in common?
Neither team has won a World Series in their new stadium."

The Cardinals ruined the joke almost immediately by winning the World Series in 5 games against Detroit in the new stadium.

They've been to the playoffs 4 times and won another World Series since then.

Sorry, don't mean to rub it in. Small market with a mediocre payroll. We still win.
This year has been tough. in second place to the lowly Brewers by 5 games. But it's still the first half of the season.

What are u wearing jake from state farm?
Khaki speedo
Still laughing. One of my favorite commercials.

Sorry yall. I am super bored today.
Don't be bored.Git-r-done.

I have a young bantam project hen that has been doing this. She did it right in front of the rooster one time and he let her know how to get the job done! LOL! I, in the meantime, stood there with my jaw on the floor as I had seen hens get on the backs of other hens, but I'd never seen one dip in behind the other hen like she actually had the tools to get that job done! Of course, the subordinate hen did her fluffy duty immediately afterward.

What a delight to read your post! Oh my goodness! And I agree with you on the heat thing. I hate summer for those very reasons. I don't like camping anymore for those very reasons as well. I grew up in Canada and loved it! I will always love the mixture of trees and the riot of color in the fall. Loved snow too... not so much anymore on that because of the mess, not because its cold.

Is a Jaer, a Jaerhon? The Swedish bird? If not, could you post a pic? I've never seen one.
Yes. Jaer is the breed. Jaerhon is a hen. Hon = hen in Norwegian.

The Jaerhon is the one with the light neck.

Here's a dark Jaer frizzle pullet.

Here's a young Jaer cockerel about 6 weeks.

Jaerhon lower left.

Last edited:
I didn't even know Pita Pinta were in the US.
The Pita Pintas that I have came from Megan Miranda two years ago. Mine a year old and hatched from the first Generation here. Several BYC members have them now and we are working on getting the Spanish Standard translated so that we can get them up to at least that Standard.

I absolutely love them!

Quote: Thanks Lacey he has walked funny for awhile but it has gotten worse. They are all on grower/finisher with some catfish feed. I will separate him and try giving him some calcium rich foods in him and some calf manna. He was getting some Calf manna but I ran out. He is 5 months old. None of my other cockerels in this pen have this problem just him out of 30.

Thanks Lacey he has walked funny for awhile but it has gotten worse. They are all on grower/finisher with some catfish feed. I will separate him and try giving him some calcium rich foods in him and some calf manna. He was getting some Calf manna but I ran out. He is 5 months old. None of my other cockerels in this pen have this problem just him out of 30.

Give him some Viatmin D. It is very important in preventing chicken rickets.

Good point Ron. Vit D ensures utilization of calcium. You can get Vit D at any drug or health food store in the vitamin section. I'd still increase his calcium too. Grower is pretty high in protein and it makes them get big and tall. Sometimes the tendons can't keep up, don't know why calcium helps but it does. Alfalfa is high in calcium and so is yogurt. Yogurt is very good for them and they love it. The age sounds about right. Good luck.

If you can, only separate him for feeding and then let him back with the others. If you separate him completely by himself, it will be really hard to reintegrate him into that flock. As bad as he is I think it may take a while to get him better.

Last edited:
Good point Ron. Vit D ensures utilization of calcium. You can get Vit D at any drug or health food store in the vitamin section. I'd still increase his calcium too. Grower is pretty high in protein and it makes them get big and tall. Sometimes the tendons can't keep up, don't know why calcium helps but it does. Alfalfa is high in calcium and so is yogurt. Yogurt is very good for them and they love it. The age sounds about right. Good luck.

Yes!

I did mean in addition to calcium.

I hope the boy recovers.

Back
Top Bottom