The Old Folks Home

My chickens loved the makeshift boxes we had in there. In fact, while I made the second one the cat decided she loved them, too. All you need is a box, some tape, some linen and a way of attaching the linen. I certainly never got the Susie Homemaker Gene, but my best attempt was well received.

THat's a cat for you!!!

Suzy homemaker not required to be ingenious and crafty--totally practical and it works. What color eggs does this one lay?

THat's a cat for you!!!

Suzy homemaker not required to be ingenious and crafty--totally practical and it works. What color eggs does this one lay?

I usually am the one band-aiding the problem, BF comes along and fixes it nicely.

Case in point - I had the cardboard box nesting boxes, BF builds this:

I also agree on putting fake eggs, or golf balls, in the nest you want them to use. Most won't lay in a nest that doesn't have an egg in it.

And you don't want to see, smell or eat the (brown) eggs that Sophie Anna Phatpants lays. But she is an excellent snuggler.

Haahaaa-

I see you have a method to your madness!!! You make something baresly suitable and BF will feel the need to upgrade! You ARE clever!!!

duc.gif
SHHHH!!! Don't spill the beans.

Fake eggs help my ducks know where to put there eggs so I can find them ( they try to hide their nests) so maybe an "egg" will help the ladies find the right location.
Thanks, Arielle. I don't have any on hand, but I did put a few golf balls in, so I hope she will take the hint.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to solicit some happy hatching vibes to be channeled this way. Wednesday is hatch due date for my two pea-chick eggs which are under the broody. I'm a bit nervous. I do so want them to hatch, even though I may not get to raise them. I told the lady that I would incubate them, but if she wanted to keep them, she would have to brood them at her house. I was hoping she would think that too much trouble and let me keep them both. If she broods them and one is a boy, it will come back to me. If they are both hens, she will keep them both and I will get eggs from them next year and hatch my own, keeping all that hatch until I get a trio.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to solicit some happy hatching vibes to be channeled this way. Wednesday is hatch due date for my two pea-chick eggs which are under the broody. I'm a bit nervous. I do so want them to hatch, even though I may not get to raise them. I told the lady that I would incubate them, but if she wanted to keep them, she would have to brood them at her house. I was hoping she would think that too much trouble and let me keep them both. If she broods them and one is a boy, it will come back to me. If they are both hens, she will keep them both and I will get eggs from them next year and hatch my own, keeping all that hatch until I get a trio.
fl.gif
Hoping for a good hatch!! Which reminds me-- need to go look at my four eggs! One was out this morning. I just can't see into the black copper marans eggs to see if it developed. I"m doing well to see the aircell ! How do you candle a pea-chick egg?????

I only candled them once and I posted pics (post #223, but not too good) but I did it the same way as I do chicken eggs. I used a mag light and my hand to direct the light through the egg. I saw lots of movement, but haven't looked at them since. Keep your fingers crossed for them!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom