The Old Folks Home

Rattlesnakes are a rarity here; for us, it's copperheads. I met one a few feet from my back door just two days ago.

Gads, it seems like everything is a trigger for this thought train lately; maybe if I write it out, I can think about something else . . . .

One of Wilmington's more colorful native sons was shot and killed, apparently by his wife, a little more than a week ago. The thing that stops this from being just a sad situation of a "domestic" that turned into a tragedy is that less than an hour before the fatal shot was fired, the wife called 911. She claimed that her husband was attacking her, or perhaps, that her husband and his friend were planning to attack her; she wasn't really clear. While she was on the phone, the husband called 911 on another line, and said that the wife is a paranoid schizophrenic that is not taking her meds, and so is having a psychotic episode - nobody is attacking anybody. The police officers that were sent in response to the wife's call talked to her, talked to him, saw no real evidence that a crime was actually being committed, and left.

Less than an hour later, a friend found him dead, and she was on a street corner a couple of blocks away in an agitated and not quite coherent state. With her was their 3-year-old son, also very upset, because someone had hurt his daddy.

This isn't just a sensational news story to me, because I know these people. I can't really say I know them well (I'd always thought she was rather quiet and reserved, but knew nothing about a serious mental illness, for example), but I've known him for, oh, probably 15 years. Multi talented and charismatic, he had an obsessive fascination with dangerous things, and had managed the trick of turning that fascination into a livelihood. This man's death leaves a big hole in a lot of lives; when I think about the 3-year-old, I just want to cry. My heart is heavy for a lot of people, not least of all her; so many questions . . .:hit

:hugsfor Bunny and all involved in that mess.
Scott

my next creation I made the chain too every link. 18 gauge gold colored wire and 28 gauge black wire... Black beads...

black tree.jpg
black tree closeup.jpg

Back
Top Bottom