The Old Folks Home

You're welcome! It's true comfort food for me...brings me right back to Grandma and Grandpa :) When I'd call and say I was coming for the weekend, Gran would always asked what I wanted...though eventually she didn't have to ask, LOL. It was great because I was about 3 hours away and never knew exactly when I'd get there...and the beef 'n noodles are easy to hold. They make great leftovers too! They thicken quite a bit after refrigerating, but I just add a bit of water and heat 'em up. I often just put 'em in a bowl and eat them like stew.

You're welcome! It's true comfort food for me...brings me right back to Grandma and Grandpa :) When I'd call and say I was coming for the weekend, Gran would always asked what I wanted...though eventually she didn't have to ask, LOL. It was great because I was about 3 hours away and never knew exactly when I'd get there...and the beef 'n noodles are easy to hold. They make great leftovers too! They thicken quite a bit after refrigerating, but I just add a bit of water and heat 'em up. I often just put 'em in a bowl and eat them like stew.
You are making me hungry!!! I love leftovers, I pop them in the freezer for a quick meal later.

It amazes me how many people turn up their noses at leftovers! For blended things, I find they improve and are actually better the 2nd or 3rd time around. When I make chili or spaghetti, I always make it at least a day before we plan to eat it and let the flavors meld in the fridge.

It amazes me how many people turn up their noses at leftovers! For blended things, I find they improve and are actually better the 2nd or 3rd time around. When I make chili or spaghetti, I always make it at least a day before we plan to eat it and let the flavors meld in the fridge.
mickey328, I make chickenstew for my husbands fishing trip to the Outer Banks, N.C. At first they were worried about transporting it, and since they only have cooler w/ice out there, keeping it from spoiling.I told them I would freeze it in a cake icing bucket and they would have no problem. They were concerned it wouldn't taste good after being frozen, boy were they surprised.I think it actually taste as good or better after being frozen.

It's so true, leftovers, especially stew type recipes, always get better with a couple of days on 'em. The flavors develop and meld more, yummm! Who wouldn't eat leftovers? Even a frutt salad tastes better a day or two into it...

Ah yes, the good ole bread machine. They've come a long way. Use mine sometimes for the initial knead and rise, and then do the second knead and rise by hand and bake in the oven. No one can tell the diff. Also like to use my kitchen aid mixer and bread hook for the knead (have arthritis in hands and shoulders, otherwise used to love the kneading, so relaxing). The bread hook works wonderfully well, and we like the bread in loaf pans, you have a better handle on doneness if you remove it from the pan about halfway and put it right on the oven rack. Makes great crust all the way around. Also like mini loaf pans, everyone has their own little loaf and they are easy to freeze. Have fun with your canning, have to get on that SOON as well, winter is breathing down our necks!

I agree. Just made some pesto from all the basil I had to harvest yesterday, and I'm letting it "improve" in the fridge before I use it. The garlic seems to permate everything after it's sat, instead of getting sharp little bits of garlic. I LOVE spaghetti sauce the next day, too. Tastes so much better.

The "leftover haters" I have known have always been really picky eaters who reminded me of spoiled kids. Or, snobs who associate leftovers with second-hand clothes, etc. They usually don't cook, either, or they wouldn't be so quick to throw out good food and hard work. Oh well. Their loss. It means they're leaving the best for us!!

droolin.gif

Last edited:
BF is an amazing cook, but hates leftovers. Fine with me, cause I'm a leftover queen. He makes something, and I gnaw on it for a few days. Then he can make himself an awesome meat meal and not worry about making me something.

I do all the baking and canning around these parts. But ask me to actually make a meal...
sickbyc.gif

Hopefully he'll make some corn chowder this weekend while I'm at work.

Nothing hideously horrible happened to me today. It was spectacular. Two chicks hatched under my broody while I was at work, and the third is working his or her way out. Just finished splitting the wood from yesterdays' tree. And wishing I had leftovers in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom