The Old Folks Home

Malia

Maybe I don't like you after all.
cool.png

These dang chicken police made me install a breathalizer interlock device on my phone.

I did not know you could get them for phones

I've seen the kind where you have to solve mathematical equations to access your e-mail.

Anything like a keyboard lock-out that warns, "cat-like typing detected?"

Once (or twice) upon a time, I found myself guilty of TUI (Typing Under the Influence). I could tell I should shut down the computer and walk away when I kept trying to fix mistakes more than actually communicate thoughts longer than a few words. Of course, this was back in the days of 1200 baud modems and real-time text appearing visible to others as we struck the keys....

Jeez. I AM old. But at least I'm a "bad-sass" old lady (minus the first "s" in sass and enunciated with a tone of appreciation, not horror.)

Never been anywhere in Africa. Malawi might be interesting to see though.

@gryeyes You're a bad-sass motherclucker. The sound of a modem connecting is very nostalgic to me, even though we never had one at home, not for the kids to use at least. We started with cable in the late nineties, a half mega connection. We were pretty late with getting an internet connection at home, I had to rely on friends and school until then.

Last edited:
Another lunch break well-spent with my OFH friends :) My work computer disagrees with the quote functions on BYC and my memory was never good enough to remember all I just read.

I am waiting to hear how the adorable little dog is whose eyes had begun to cloud rapidly.

Cynthia, I hope your meeting goes well.

Lacy, I really like your idea of adding a GS apple once a week, I'm going to have to try that! My birds love plain yogurt, I have gotten lax about giving it to them regularly but will make more this weekend.

Linda, please contact law enforcement. As others have said, the threats must be documented. If something happens to you or your birds, and the threats are already on record, response will likely be much swifter and surer. Remember your location, and don't let them change it from your little slice of heaven into a horrid slice of awful. It will help that you have already communicated with AS and VC, and it is possible they have already reported the issues, but don't count on it. Make sure LE is aware that you feel threatened both personally and on behalf of your poultry and dogs. Take pictures of everything, all the critters, all your structures, etc.

Broodies - someone local to me just broke a broody using bags of frozen peas directly under the hen. I thought it rather clever. I have a Silkie who has been broody on and off for 2 months, but not serious enough to give her eggs. She stopped laying though, convinced her lady friends to all stop laying as well, and they would sometimes crowd 3 into one little area sitting on nothing for weeks at a time. Finally all but the one have returned to more normal behavior. I mean, as normal as Silkies can be, bless their fuzzy little hearts. I adore them. Nothing on this planet with a beak is more gentle, entertaining, or endearing than a Silkie hen.

ChickenCanoe, hope you were able to move the tree from the drive without too much trouble.

Wisher, love the boots :) I have not forgotten your offer to travel on the cheap in November, but even cheap is pretty much out of the question for me this year. Next year, though, I am hoping.

I have been asked to travel to AZ in September or October, and to MS, LA or FL in January or February, to assist with some training. I have had to tell the people asking me, that I need at least 3 weeks' notice. I said, "I know how stupid this sounds to anyone but me, but my life outside work revolves around hatching. Once the eggs are set there is no pause." I am amazed that both people were accomodating and said they would note that. I mean, it isn't required that I go, it's well outside my job description, but I enjoy it.

Ron and Oz, you are each such a wealth of information.

There were at least 10 other things I read and wanted to respond to and they are all gone from my memory now.

I find the earlier sundown noticeable already - last month I could be outside doing chores until 8:30 and have plenty of light, now by about 8:10 I'm hustling before I lose the last of the light. Darn it.

Back
Top Bottom