The Old Folks Home

I'm only seeing 3 breed with the solid black eyes as chicks....Black Australorp, Jersey Giants, and Black Orphintgons. Jersey Giants will usually develop an iris, so in time, you will know. Orphingtons keep the solid black eyes, but the bottoms of their feet are not pinkish in color, and they are larger than Black Australorps. From the picture, it's hard to tell the exact color of the feet, and there is no picture of the bottom of the feet, but again, with pictures it's sometimes hard to tell.

He was a squirming thing this morning! I'll take a pic of that later he was ready for some food. The underside of his feet are bright yellow. I appreciate all input. Its a new experience for me to have chicks of various breeds! Thank you!! Do you raise either of those kinds? I've never had any before and of all the chicks I got he was the only single of his type. I got two or more of every other breed. Poor fellow. Lol

@chickensnewtome, I had to laugh. One night I remember a doctor going through making rounds and before he left he asked 'Do you ladies need anything while I'm here?' and I said 'Yes, 5 of Haldol all around. Not for the patients, for us.' He thought I was joking......I wasn't. It was 'one of those nights'. You know them. 3 residents are sundowning. 1 is laying in bed screaming HELP! at the top of their lungs and there isn't anything for them to be yelling help about. That resident gets 2 or 3 others yelling 'SHUT UP!' back at them. Meanwhile you have one going to the hospital because they 'just aren't acting right' and another one who has just decided that it is time to meet their maker. Just when you think it couldn't get any worse, one of the aides comes up and says 'the lady in 210 is on the floor and her head is bleeding'.:th:eek:

I worked second shift. Two nurses to 65-70 residents. Very heavy 4 pm med pass. 4 aids if we were lucky. The third shift nurse always worked the wing by herself or his self.

It was challenging to say the least but I liked the independence that we had but not the stress. The stress was horrible. I remember having my cortisol levels checked while working and the results were something like 7 times greater than normal.

So yeah, 5 of Haldol would have been just about right.

Last edited:
Used my CPAP last night, hope i am more energetic today. Need to mow, hopefully the grass is dry after yesterdays rain.
Coop walls all up! 20170808_184843.jpg

He was a squirming thing this morning! I'll take a pic of that later he was ready for some food. The underside of his feet are bright yellow. I appreciate all input. Its a new experience for me to have chicks of various breeds! Thank you!! Do you raise either of those kinds? I've never had any before and of all the chicks I got he was the only single of his type. I got two or more of every other breed. Poor fellow. Lol
Yellow bottoms of feet Jersey Giant, whitish pink Australorp. Sounds like it's a JG?

Do you raise either of those kinds?
I have white Jersey Giant's. Great birds lay good, big brown eggs and will lay good in the winter. Very calm breed and the roosters are non aggressive.
Just caught a couple broody hatched chicks that escaped the run.
They look similar to the black chicks just lighter, they turn pure white as their feathers grow in. I tried to set them down for a better pick, now they're determined not to get caught again and are off in the bushes. Darn things are acting like wild grouse, hope I can catch them before mamma has a heart attack.
20170809_102530.jpg

Back
Top Bottom